how can I include checking account into the budget

Options
I prefer to not use Quicken online bill pay service, but would like to link the checking account funds to the income portion of the budget. Is this possible?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, again, easypeasy,

The sidebar at the left is a listing of your various accounts, and selecting each displays the transactions within each. That sidebar has nothing to do with your budget. The latter is something you setup and select to view at the top of the window.

I think you are confused about how the budget works: You can't specify an account (checking or cash) as income. You setup a budget, and you track individual categories (with monthly goals) to reflect income or expense cash flow activities. Those cash flows are irrelevant to the source account such as checking-how you track your categories/goals does. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    Options
    When you setup a budget, all accounts, by default, will be tracked. You can pick and choose which categories to monitor (be it spending or income), and your budget will capture them from all accounts, including your checking.

How you pay a bill (be it online bill pay, paper check, etc.) does not matter to the budget. It simply tracks cash inflows/outflows by category.
  • easypeasy
    easypeasy Member ✭✭
    Options
    :) thanks for you reply, yep I have selected the checking account to track and it does appear in the far left hand column under All Transactions....however is there a way for the account to be tracked in the Income area of the budget spreadsheet? I do not see how to include the Cash on hand in the checking account in the income area of the budget. Maybe this is out of the scope of the budgeting process. Appreciate your help.
  • John_in_NC
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, again, easypeasy,

The sidebar at the left is a listing of your various accounts, and selecting each displays the transactions within each. That sidebar has nothing to do with your budget. The latter is something you setup and select to view at the top of the window.

I think you are confused about how the budget works: You can't specify an account (checking or cash) as income. You setup a budget, and you track individual categories (with monthly goals) to reflect income or expense cash flow activities. Those cash flows are irrelevant to the source account such as checking-how you track your categories/goals does. 

• easypeasy
    easypeasy Member ✭✭
    Options
    :) thanks for your reply....clarifies the process more
This discussion has been closed.