Easy way to find changed transaction?

Options
I just went through all my transactions for 2020 in my primary checking account (a fairly large number of transactions). I was fixing categories and splits, without intending to change and transaction net amounts.

Unfortunately, I did change something because the starting balance in Q's December reconciliation does not match the statement.

If Q transactions had a change date on them, I could look for transaction that were recently changed. It doesn't, so I can't.

All I can think of is to unreconcile the previous month, open a reconciliation and see if the starting balances match. If not, repeat until they do. Then re reconcile everything.

This is a lot of work.

Is there a better way?
Tagged:

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd print an account balance by month (maybe week), restore a backup (don't overwrite!) and compare balances.  Then check the transactions in the changed period.

Or I'd generate a transaction report, copy that to Excel, restore and copy the same transactions report to Excel and use that to locate the variations.  

Without checking exactly which transactions cleared in each statement, I don't see 'unreconciling' to be a very easy task.