Unable to open Q2018 Windows Subscription after install on Win 10 Pro 64 bit system

John U
John U Member
Purchased Q2018 Win subscription yesterday, downloaded installed without apparent error or issue and subsequently uninstalled many times, but quicken will not open from icon or direct from QW.exe and no error messages displayed! Where do I go from here?

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you start Quicken, is there a Quicken icon in the taskbar? If so, hold the cursor over the icon to see the Quicken window. Right click in the Quicken windows and choose Maximize.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • John U
    John U Member
    Thanks for your response. No icon in the taskbar after attempting to start Quicken. I do get User Control message box "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" which i always confirm yes, then the box disappears but nothing further happens, no noticeable disc activity!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • John U
    John U Member
    Thanks, No data file set up as yet as I've not been able to launch Quicken since installation, Controlled access is off and I am not using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup. QW.exe is in right place C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken.
    I have been using Quicken 2017 for the last 3 years without issue until about a week ago when I got a .Net Framework 4 not installed error prevention opening. This happened overnight yet nothing had changed on the PC, no updates or installations etc ! I ran the Windows .Net Framework troubleshooter which didn't identify any issues and confirmed various . Net installations as being present. Not been able to run Quicken 2017 since, hence the upgrade to Q2018. Perhaps I need to reinstall Windows 10 and start again?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    John U said:
    Perhaps I need to reinstall Windows 10 and start again?
    That would be my suggestion.
    Do be sure that you retain a backup copy of your Quicken data files last used by Q2017, on external drive media, in case the reinstall wipes your C: - drive!

• Greg_the_Geek
    You can download and run the Windows Update Assistant and do an in-place install of Windows 10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
  • John U
    John U Member
    Reinstalled Windows 10 and now Quicken 2018 installs correctly without issue! Just need to reload all my apps now!
    Thanks for all your help which is greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.