Zeroing out a security and getting a residual negative basis

Hello, when I have several mutual funds that have minor stock distributions over the years. When I finally sell them, the shares register as zero but it shows a market value of $-.02 or something minor.

It comes into play when I run say YTD reports on current securities and these securities still pop in. I have screen shots to illustrate the issue.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @epurman,

I think that what is happening is that you are seeing Quicken's recent shift to increasing the number of decimal places used for fractional share holdings to six decimal places.  This occurred with the R27.20 release this year. To fix this, I suggest that you edit the final sell (or Sold / SoldX) transaction by clicking on the "Sell all shares in this account" checkbox.  That will zero out the shares for the applicable holding.

Let me know if you have any followups. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @epurman,

I think that what is happening is that you are seeing Quicken's recent shift to increasing the number of decimal places used for fractional share holdings to six decimal places.  This occurred with the R27.20 release this year. To fix this, I suggest that you edit the final sell (or Sold / SoldX) transaction by clicking on the "Sell all shares in this account" checkbox.  That will zero out the shares for the applicable holding.

Let me know if you have any followups. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• JoeBlow
    JoeBlow Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue but the amounts are positive. I thought of using the "sell all" button before coming here. It didn't work. In the past, a capital gains report would sometimes reveal small negative quantities of holdings, but not this time. I ran validate with no improvement. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • epurman
    epurman Member
    Thanks JoeBlow... I agree. Taking issue with the "sell all shares" above... It does not work... Called support, but had to explain the issue four times before I thought we were talking a similar language leave alone describing the issue.

I hope Quicken resolves this... Even a filter in reports where I could eliminate all investments under a dime would be helpful
  • I have had this happen quite frequently over the years. The negative cost amounts appear on the Portfolio Value and Cost Report but do not show up under the Investments tab.

If one edits a posted security transaction rather than deleting and reposting a revised entry, some of the Investment Reports may be incorrect. It is also important to revise transactions affecting the cost of a security before a sale of that security is reported.

Any discrepancy can usually be isolated on the Investment Transactions Report but may be very difficult to correct,
  • epurman
    epurman Member
    Amen...Thanks for your feedback... Qkn should address this, or they should create a filter so penny items are zeroed out..
  • Jay109
    Jay109 Member
    I have the same issue. It's sad that they do not address this or acknowledge it.