I'm having two problems with Calendar view

Randy Toney
Randy Toney Member ✭✭
I have a scheduled bill that recurs monthly. Since recently, in the Calendar view, the scheduled bill appears twice on the same date. Opening that date, each bill shows separately, but it I delete one, both are deleted.
2nd problem: On the date the scheduled bill occurs, the balance shown on each calendar date does not change as a result of the scheduled bill. The dollar amount stays exactly the same.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Randy Toney,

On the first issue - a bill reminder being duplicated - I would suggest that you delete the current reminders and add a new reminder - BUT DON"T add it using the calendar, instead go to > the "Bills" tab > select "Add Bills" and then select either "Manual Bill" or "Online Bill" > and complete the various data fields.  Other users have had success with this problem when they add bill reminders this way instead of adding them via the calendar.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Randy Toney,

On the first issue - a bill reminder being duplicated - I would suggest that you delete the current reminders and add a new reminder - BUT DON"T add it using the calendar, instead go to > the "Bills" tab > select "Add Bills" and then select either "Manual Bill" or "Online Bill" > and complete the various data fields.  Other users have had success with this problem when they add bill reminders this way instead of adding them via the calendar.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Randy Toney
    Randy Toney Member ✭✭
    That seems to have fixed the duplicating entry problem. I'm going to keep checking to see if it reappears, but so far, it's not being duplicated. The other problem, balance not being updated to reflect the bill, is still occurring.
    Thanks,
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Randy Toney,

Glad to hear that the first issue now seems to be fixed (I expect that that will continue to be the case).

On the second issue of the "balance shown in the calendar" the answer could be that the bank account from which the scheduled payment will be made is not included in the "multiple accounts" that are used to produce that "bank balance".  So check to see if that is the case. 

If that is not the problem, please give me more details on the type of payment, whether it only happens for this payment, whether it happens regularly (e.g. every month) and whether it could be misinterpreted as a "transfer" type of entry by Quicken rather than the payment of a bill (e.g. a payment of a credit card balance for an account tracked in Quicken).

Thanks.

Frankx

• Randy Toney
    Randy Toney Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hi Frankx, I found the other problem, and it was my error.
    I was paying from the same account to which the transaction was categorized!
    Don't know how that happened, but probably when I reentered the repeating transaction to get rid of duplicates.
    Anyway, case closed!
    Thanks for sticking with me.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy,

Glad that it worked out for you and that i could help.

Take care!

Frankx

• Randy Toney
    Randy Toney Member ✭✭
    Frankx, I'm sorry to report that the duplicating entry in the calendar is back this morning. Yesterday, I had added the manual bill as you suggested, and it looked OK. Then, this morning, I'm seeing double again. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Randy Toney,

So is the duplicate entry identical to the new one you just created?  If so, this could be a sign of data corruption, so I would suggest that you validate and then potentially supervalidate your Q datafile. 

Here's a link to instructions on those two functions - LINK.  Before starting the Validate & Repair process, you should copy your current data file within Quicken, and use that copied file in the validation process.

Frankx

• Randy Toney
    Randy Toney Member ✭✭
    Frankx, I've run Validate previously, and I got the same results:
    + QDF:
    + Validating your data.
    + Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

I did what the note requested, but everything looked fine in the under Tools->Manage Bills...
    Should I move on to super validate? I didn't see instructions for doing that, so I'll await your response.
    Thanks.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Randy Toney,

Thanks for the update.  Given the results of validate (i.e. damaged reminder) I think you might be better served by contacting Quicken Support for assistance.  Here's that LINK.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

• Randy Toney
    Randy Toney Member ✭✭
    No. Absolutely no help from Quicken support. They suggested going to a known good backup. I ended up deleting the transactions that were showing up twice, then supervalidating a few times. Probably a terrible method, but I was finally able to re-enter the transactions and no dupes.
This discussion has been closed.