Can I export search results in Excel compatible format (like exporting a report)?

jarhtmd
jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
I often seem to get more (for me) useable & repeatable results by using a simple search in Windows Quicken2007 than by using 'Reports'. That may be caused by my unfamiliarity with 'accounting terms, etc' and, therefore, what each report will actually provide. Or maybe my searches don't fit the standard reports. But when I need something, it's frustrating to have to try several reports (often w/o finding what I need).

Is there a way to select some or all search results and export in Excel compatible format, like can be done with reports?

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I don't remember if Quicken 2007 was the same but in the latest version if you hit the printer icon at the bottom of the search results you can then select to export the file to an Excel compatible file (tab delimited).  Do you have these options in your version?  See the below screenshot:

• jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks a million!! That option is there, but I had never seen it. I'd developed tunnel vision and was simply looking past it. You've taught an old dog a new trick!

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I don't remember if Quicken 2007 was the same but in the latest version if you hit the printer icon at the bottom of the search results you can then select to export the file to an Excel compatible file (tab delimited).  Do you have these options in your version?  See the below screenshot:

• jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks a million!! That option is there, but I had never seen it. I'd developed tunnel vision and was simply looking past it. You've taught an old dog a new trick!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jarhtmd -- I would think a basic Banking Transactions report would readily parallel the Search process.  Although more click might be necessary, there is much more flexibility as well.

Couple of setup thoughts in that direction -- Edit / Preferences / Reports and Graphs
    • I am set up to "Customize report/graph before creating".  Since I am almost always choosing to limit accounts, categories, payees, dates, or something, I figure I should start with the customization screen each time I start a report.  
    • To parallel the Search function, you would want the default date to be "Include all dates"
    • If you 'always' want a defined presentation (include tags, omit tags, only some accounts, etc.), save a base report to the toolbar for quick access.     
  • jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Useful info. Saving reports should is something I definitely need to investigate.
This discussion has been closed.