unspecified rental expense?

What does "unspecified rental expense" mean when I'm running reports?
Does it interfere with my tax reports?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @k_1

Unspecified rental expense is an expense that has not been properly categorized in Quicken.  For example - you incurred expenses related to repairs on a rental unit and you assigned a rental unit "tag" but you used a general expense category "Repairs" instead of a category in the "Rental Property Expenses" section of the "Category List".  And - yes - this will cause the expense not to properly appear in your tax reports.

For more detailed information on this go to Quicken Help and search on "resolve unspecified rental expense" > then, from the "topics found" section, select "How do I resolve possible tax deductions".

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @k_1

Unspecified rental expense is an expense that has not been properly categorized in Quicken.  For example - you incurred expenses related to repairs on a rental unit and you assigned a rental unit "tag" but you used a general expense category "Repairs" instead of a category in the "Rental Property Expenses" section of the "Category List".  And - yes - this will cause the expense not to properly appear in your tax reports.

For more detailed information on this go to Quicken Help and search on "resolve unspecified rental expense" > then, from the "topics found" section, select "How do I resolve possible tax deductions".

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• danlapin
    danlapin Member ✭✭✭
    This also means if you selected a category related to rental, but forgot to assign a tag. The system will read based on category and since it selected as rental it will populate into rental but since tag is not assign it will not populate into specific category. once a tag it assign it should populate into a category under that tag
This discussion has been closed.