Quicken won't start after automatic upgrade - saying "completing conversion"

amctroness
amctroness Member ✭✭
It's Jan 31. I opened Quicken RPM today and it automatically went through a download/update. I didn't pay attention to what it was updating, but I noticed at the end a dialog box saying "completing conversion". I assume that the recent upgrade required some conversion activity. Now, Quicken won't display. I click the Quicken icon and it looks like it is starting up. The UI never becomes visible so I can't use it. The task manager shows that Quicken is running. The only way to close it is thru task manager or by hovering over the icon on the ribbon at the bottom of the screen. Please help!!

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @amctroness

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community, although I apologize that the prior response was unable to resolve this problem.

If you haven't already, please hover your mouse over the Quicken icon in the Windows Task Bar that goes across the bottom of your monitor.

An image of Quicken should appear, right-click on the image and select "Maximize" or "Restore".

Does Quicken now appear as expected?  Or are you still unable to access the program? 

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah

Answers

• BobPollock
    BobPollock Member ✭✭
    Until you get a meaningful reply from Quicken, try this:

Copy your latest pre-conversion Quicken data backup file. "Park" it temporarily by pasting it to another folder, say, your desktop (which is technically a folder) then, using file renaming, change the extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF.

Then double-click on that renamed file; this will make it open up in Quicken. If you're lucky, it will convert cleanly and the file will open.

If that does not happen, delete the file from the folder where you temporarily parked it and wait for Quicken to instruct you.

If that does happen, cut that file (as in cut, copy, paste) from the folder where you temporarily parked it, then paste it into your primary Quicken data folder, allowing Windows to overwrite your latest data file that got futzed up on the first attempted conversion.

Good luck. Nothing to lose but a few minutes.
  • amctroness
    amctroness Member ✭✭
    Thanks Bob. Great suggestion. I tried all these steps but had the same result. Got the "finishing conversion" message. Two new files created in the "recover" folder I created (synclog and a ofxlog). Quicken looks like it's running, but it is unaccessible. I'll wait to hear from Quicken.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @amctroness

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community, although I apologize that the prior response was unable to resolve this problem.

If you haven't already, please hover your mouse over the Quicken icon in the Windows Task Bar that goes across the bottom of your monitor.

An image of Quicken should appear, right-click on the image and select "Maximize" or "Restore".

Does Quicken now appear as expected?  Or are you still unable to access the program? 

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • amctroness
    amctroness Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sarah. I am so relieved. It's tax season after all.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Sarah. I am so relieved. It's tax season after all.
    So basically - you had the Quicken screen minimized ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• amctroness
    amctroness Member ✭✭
    It does seem like it was that simple, but I wouldn't say I had the screen minimized. I know how to minimize and maximize a window. I've never experienced a situation where you click on an app, and it appears to be "in focus" and yet it doesn't appear in the forefront at any time. I've only seen this when an app is in a non-responsive state. Maybe basic, but new info to me. I am thrilled that the Quicken community helped me resolve.
This discussion has been closed.