Quicken R31.8 and Crossover - any problems

todivefor
todivefor Member ✭✭
I am a little late. I have been using Quicken for about 18 years on Mac OS X 15.6 virtualizing Windows 10. I've tried the Mac version, don't like. Just discovered and installed Crossover trial. First day of 14 day trial. In my limited experience, seems pretty good. I plan to run in parallel til I make a decision. Anything to discourage me from going this route? I am only evaluating out of convenience.

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many Mac users running Quicken Windows through VM ware. Cannot vouch for Crossover, but there are a few VM ware options for Mac to consider. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well just going off of what I have read in threads on the two.  A while back there was one person that said they had a problem with Crossover, but he came back a couple of days later to say that they had fix it.  So the Crossover folks seem to be pretty good at responding to such problems.

On the other hand I have now seen two threads on people using VMWare and finding that they can't login to their Quicken Account (with the Quicken Id).  And the recommended fix to that was to use Parallels instead.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • todivefor
    todivefor Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both. I've run both Parallels and Fusion since sometime before 2010. No problem with either. Out of convenience, giving Crossover a try. So far, easy install and at first glance looks good. I'll report back before the trial is over. Just looking for any deal breakers that others have found.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may already know this but VMWare Fusion v12 is now free for personal use, which runs on macOS Catalina 10.15 or higher.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    VirtualBox is free too (but you have to pay for a Windows 10 license).  With Crossover it is different since it doesn't run Windows 10 instead it is a translation from Windows library calls to Mac OS library calls.
    Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Note too that VMWare is easier to implement (less technical and finicky) and they are working on a M1 compatible version of Fusion (as is Parallels, and they are actually further along) whereas so far there has been no announcement by Oracle that they are going to make VirtualBox compatible.

Since you already have Win 10, your options are wide open.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good point about M1, I wonder how that affects Crossover.
    Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprise... I just looked it up and Crossover already supports M1. Interesting!

But Crossover is not free and neither is Parallels. It is yet to be seen if VMWare will continue to keep Fusion free once a version for M1 is available.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hmm interesting.  I guess that makes sense.  Now that I think of it Crossover probably had a easier time than VMWare or any of the VM software.

For the VM software they have completely new set of hardware to simulate.
    For Crossover they don't try to simulate hardware they translate Windows function calls to Mac calls.  Whatever would be needed to port a Mac program from Intel to M1 is all that would be needed.
    Signature:
  • todivefor
    todivefor Member ✭✭
    As stated, I am looking for any problems using Quicken with Crossover? I started to pursue Crossover due to Apple and M1. I am running a much modified Macbook Pro mid 2012 (non-retina). Some say the last good Macbook Pro Apple made. In anticipation of problems with this 9 year old machine, I am looking at alternatives for continuing to run Quicken. Non-M1 Mackbook Pro, Windows 10 laptop or now Crossover on M1. I do not see VMWare Fusion or Parallels as a short term, if ever, solution. Without Crossover, this leaves M1 out. With Crossover all options are open. I'll continue to test Crossover. If anyone has any Crossover gotchas, I would like to hear.
  • RogerD
    RogerD Member ✭✭
    Todivefor,

How are your Crossover tests proceeding? Are you thinking M1 and Crossover is a viable QFW platform for you?

RogerD