Budget missing transactions

I have a budget for Telephone that was being paid online in 2020 until October. Transactions paid online were noted correctly by the budget. In October I switched payment method (I paid by credit card on supplier website) and entered the transaction by hand (not noted as being online). Even though the category stayed the same ("Telephone"), these last three months did not hit the budget. If I pull a report on expenses for Telephone in 2020, the full year is there. When I look at the budget, Oct, Nov and Dec. are missing.

I tried deleting the credit card entry and entering again. Budget for 2020 still not picking up.

How do I fix this?
Quicken user since 1995...

Best Answers

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Did you go to the Budget Actions pulldown and Select accounts to verify the credit card account is "checked"?

• Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Scooterlam Oh damn, I see what you are talking about. My credit card is not included in there because I had to get re-issued due to fraud!!! That is the problem I am confident.

Answers

• Scooterlam
    Is the credit card account included in your budget?   Would be one of the first checks I would make.
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for responding. No, it is not.
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    I just tried deleting the budget category for "Telephone" in my 2021 budget and re-adding.. It is still not picking up Telephone category.
  • Scooterlam
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Did you go to the Budget Actions pulldown and Select accounts to verify the credit card account is "checked"?

• Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Is it possible I am fighting something like the "Online Payee" thing where you can't re-use an online payee, even if you delete it? So you are left guessing as to what a valid new online payee name will be legal...
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Scooter... yes, I did. It is a standalone account, not a child of a master account like "utilities". I've deleted it and re-added to the budget. No joy.
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Scooterlam Oh damn, I see what you are talking about. My credit card is not included in there because I had to get re-issued due to fraud!!! That is the problem I am confident.
  • Scooterlam
    edited January 2021
    Not the category (telephone) but the Account (credit card) - the credit card account.  Quicken now allows selection of accounts in your budget.  So, was wondering if the Account is missing and the cause of you missing actuals.
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    And... oh damn... that blows the budget big time... sigh...
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Well, I thought leaving the account out of budgeting was the issue... but it WAS there and checked.

This US Bank Mastercard account is behaving strangely. It used to handle downloads and online banking was activated. I de-activated online when Quicken changed billing and US Bank charged for Direct Connect. So I started downloading QFX files and importing. THOSE EXPENSES ARE POSTING CORRECTLY IN BUDGETING.

Any entry I make in the US Bank credit card account by HAND are NOT posting to budgeting.

Is that normal behavior??... no matter what I hand enter on in that register, those categories are not counted in budgeting. If I import, they are.

Craig
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    @Scooterlam
    Well, I thought leaving the account out of budgeting was the issue... but it WAS there and checked.

This US Bank Mastercard account is behaving strangely. It used to handle downloads and online banking was activated. I de-activated online when Quicken changed billing and US Bank charged for Direct Connect. So I started downloading QFX files and importing. THOSE EXPENSES ARE POSTING CORRECTLY IN BUDGETING.

Any entry I make in the US Bank credit card account by HAND are NOT posting to budgeting.

Is that normal behavior??... no matter what I hand enter on in that register, those categories are not counted in budgeting. If I import, they are.

Craig
  • Scooterlam
    Very strange, indeed.   So, your QFX transaction downloads to the NEW Quicken credit card account are registering as actuals in your budget, BUT your manual transactions entries in the same NEW Quicken credit card account are NOT registering as actuals in your budget.  Did I get that right?

How did you handle the credit account closure / opening in Quicken?  Did you create a new CC account in Quicken with the new card number, keeping it separate that the old account?  Or, did you continue to use the old Quicken account, changing it to the new account number?

If you now have two Quicken accounts for this credit card (old one and new one), are they both selected for your budget?

Do you sync to the online Quicken product?
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Regarding your first question, yeah, you got it right. I'm still experimenting with this to see if I can narrow down a pattern.

When I closed the old card out, I opened a new account with the new number. I did not re-use the previous card account.

I don't use the online Quicken product or do anything in the cloud... just doesn't fit for me.

I plan to close this account in total and create a new one... though using the same account number could wreak havoc as well... guess we will find out. I'll play around with a backup file and see if I can narrow this down. My file is 1.3 TB in size thanks to attachments.

Appreciate your help...

Craig
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    As this was broken across various categories and various budget items, I played around with a Quicken backup file (also broken) focusing on the credit card account. Transactions that would not record in the budget had the account in common.
    I noted that download was enabled, so I deactivated. I re-entered the card number. As soon as I pulled down a QFX file, download was re-enabled by Quicken, which I thought weird.
    After these actions, entries were correctly being posted to the budget... so something must have gone stupid with the Account.
    Thanks for your help and guidance!

Craig
  • Scooterlam
    Thanks for coming back to the community with your resolution.  So with the CC account deleted and recreated you are now able to see both your QFX downloads and you manually entered transactions.  Cant explain it either! 
  • Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    That's the problem with a file that has been carried forward since 1995... and on a Macintosh at the beginning. Under Windows since 1998, I have 15,000 records just in my checking account. I fear the big crater...
    Thanks for your help!!
This discussion has been closed.