12 month gain for Apple/Tesla following split is incorrect

I owned Apple and Tesla prior to their stock split, and both have gone up nicely. However, Quicken shows a loss in the 12 month Gain/Loss column. The share prices are correct, but something is wrong.

Best Answer

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Seems like a QMac bug.  I see the same thing - a loss way greater than my Apple was ever worth.  Bizarre numbers for most of my holdings actually, but particularly anything that had a stock split.

For example Nextera Energy NEE had a 4:1 split on 10/26/20.  QMac  shows the proper overall Gain, but the 12 month gain is a loss equal to double the current market value.  Nonsensical.

I have this same file in both QMac and QWin. The bad valuations of stocks that have had splits does not happen in QWin - exclusively a QMac bug.

Aha.  I have been running this file in parallel for some time - both QMac and QWin and have been doing downloads from the brokerage on both.  Charles Schwab in this case.  For both AAPL and NEE - which split as above - the Schwab download for the split was entered into QWin properly as a SPLIT.  However, QMac did NOT create a "Stock Split" transaction for the split download... instead, it created an "Add Shares" transaction ... which is the cause of the bad numbers.

Make a backup of your file before doing this in case I'm wrong... but see if you have an "Add Shares" at the end of last August for AAPL.  If so, change it to a Stock Split of 4 for 1.  My 12 month gain loss is both positive and correct after having done that.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    Answer ✓
    Seems like a QMac bug.  I see the same thing - a loss way greater than my Apple was ever worth.  Bizarre numbers for most of my holdings actually, but particularly anything that had a stock split.

For example Nextera Energy NEE had a 4:1 split on 10/26/20.  QMac  shows the proper overall Gain, but the 12 month gain is a loss equal to double the current market value.  Nonsensical.

I have this same file in both QMac and QWin. The bad valuations of stocks that have had splits does not happen in QWin - exclusively a QMac bug.

Aha.  I have been running this file in parallel for some time - both QMac and QWin and have been doing downloads from the brokerage on both.  Charles Schwab in this case.  For both AAPL and NEE - which split as above - the Schwab download for the split was entered into QWin properly as a SPLIT.  However, QMac did NOT create a "Stock Split" transaction for the split download... instead, it created an "Add Shares" transaction ... which is the cause of the bad numbers.

Make a backup of your file before doing this in case I'm wrong... but see if you have an "Add Shares" at the end of last August for AAPL.  If so, change it to a Stock Split of 4 for 1.  My 12 month gain loss is both positive and correct after having done that.

• markrougeux
    markrougeux Member ✭✭✭
    Karl, you are a genius. That appears to have fixed the issue. I'm going to comb through the number to make sure it all came out correctly, but at first glance, it looks good and the 12 month gain numbers are no longer negative. Thanks so much.
  • MontanaKarl
    You're most welcome.  Glad that worked!  But, thank YOU for posting the question!  If you hadn't seen the problem and asked, I wouldn't have found out that my data was wrong also due to this QMac bug.  Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.