Why does the Net Worth Report show negative balances in investment accounts that have a zero balance

When I run the Net Worth Report, Investment Accounts that now have a zero balance as of a particular month are showing a negative balance in future months after account was zero. Also the balances in Investment Accounts are not matching balances shown in Quicken. Balances in all other Account Sections are fine.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @susanfuson84

I can't say that I've seen this behavior before, but it sounds like there may be scheduled transactions (such as future payments or transfers out of the account) that are affecting the future/projected account value.  You should take a close look at your "Bill and Income Reminders" to see if that is what might be causing this.

On the issue about the balances of investment accounts in Quicken not matching the actual account balances - well that could be any number of issues/problems.  If you haven't already done it, you should reconcile the accounts or accounts that do not agree with recent account statements (or broker online balances) to determine why those accounts are out of balance.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hi Frankx:

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question but unfortunately your responses do not solve the issue I am having.

The account showing the negative balances was closed out in March of 2020 and this is reflected in the actual account in Quicken. For some reason in April of 2020 it starts showing a negative balance and continues to show the same negative balance in all months after April 2020. There are no future transactions showing related to this account.

Also on the other issue the account balances in Quicken match the month end statement from my investment company. The only place showing the wrong balances are on the Net Worth Report. There are seven separate accounts with this on investment firm and all 7 are showing incorrect balances. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years and have never seen this before. My only issue is that I cannot pinpoint exactly when the issue started happening.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @susanfuson84

Investment Accounts ... are showing a negative balance in future months ...
    Maybe I read the above comment too literally.  So, now I understand we are not talking about future months, but rather months in 2020 that were after you closed the account.  So, a follow-up question on this issue is - have you reviewed the account register for transactions that are dated after the date the account was closed?  They should be pretty easy to see and you should obviously delete all of those transactions, or reclassify them to the correct account.

On the second issue of 7 investment accounts all showing incorrect balances in Quicken's Net Worth report, that could be caused by the report settings. I would suggest that you:

1) open the Net Worth report:
    2) then click on the "Gear" icon at the top of the window on the far right;
    3) on the "Accounts" tab click the "Select All" button;
    4) on the "Securities" tab click the "Select All" button;
    5) on the "Advanced" tab - make sure that "Include unrealized gains" is Checked;
    6) Click "OK" and review the report again to see if it now makes sense and agreed with your account statements.

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hi Frankx:

On the first issue - In the account register it shows a zero balance as of 4/20/20 and there are no transactions listed after this date. Now that I take a deeper look at the Net Worth report the negative balance started showing up in Feb of 2020.

On the second issue - All of my settings for this report already included the ones you suggested. I even changed the date range option to include all dates and the results are still the same.

I really believe there is a "BUG" in the software somewhere related to this report that is causing both of these issues.

Thanks again for your help. Is there a way to report this up to the Quicken Team for further analysis?

Susan
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big is the discrepancy? If it's a fraction of a share, it could be due to Quicken having changed the number of decimal places it rounds to. If that is the case, editing the final Sell transactions of the affected securities to "sell all shares" might clear it up.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI again @susanfuson84

Yes.  I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support via this LINK

Let me know how that works out.

Frankx

• Frank:

I contacted Quicken Support and after 90 minutes on the phone with a technician trying a multitude of suggestions and tests no resolution was found. At the end of the call he had me submit a ticket to report the problem but could not promise any kind of resolution timeframe. After submitting the ticket the technician informs me this has been a reported problem for over a year so I am not holding my breath for any resolution in the near future.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Sue
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @susanfuson84

Thanks for reporting back, although I am sorry that Q Support was unable to resolve your issue.  You were right to suspect this is a software bug, but it is very disappointing to hear that this problem has existed for more than a year.

Sorry that things didn't work out.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.