Recurring categories?

I have just started using Quicken and it downloaded transactions from my checking account. Since there are multiple recurring Payees in the list, I would like to assign a Category to the Payee ONCE, and then get Quicken to populate the rest of the same Payees with that Category, without having to go to each transaction manually. Is that possible?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Yes, assuming you haven't split the transactions.

Type the Payee into the Search field box at the upper right. This will pull up all matching transactions. Select them (or those you wish to re-categoirze), and click Edit (command+e). The fields you change (in your case, category) will be batch changed when you click Save.

If you wish to do this across multiple accounts, click on All Transactions in the sidebar to search all accounts at once.

Answers

• Jodi R
    Jodi R Member ✭✭
    In the Quicken Edit Menu - Preferences - Download Transactions / there is a check box to "Automatically categorize transactions" this may help you?
  • John_in_NC
    edited February 2021
    You will want to go into the Payee list, and click on QuickFill Rules at the top. There, you will have the option to set a category to always be used for each payee. This applies to both downloaded and manually entered transactions.

There are a lot of options in there, so take your time when setting things up-don't get carried away at first.

• KSO
    KSO Member ✭✭
    That's helpful, thanks. My question, though, was can I assign a category to a Payee, and then have it automatically apply to ALREADY DOWNLOADED transactions? Thank you again very much for the help.
  • John_in_NC
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Yes, assuming you haven't split the transactions.

Type the Payee into the Search field box at the upper right. This will pull up all matching transactions. Select them (or those you wish to re-categoirze), and click Edit (command+e). The fields you change (in your case, category) will be batch changed when you click Save.

If you wish to do this across multiple accounts, click on All Transactions in the sidebar to search all accounts at once.
  • KSO
    KSO Member ✭✭
    Perfect. Thanks so much.
This discussion has been closed.