Can Quicken 2007 be installed on a separate HD to avoid overwriting Quicken 2020?

I need to retrieve 1/1/20 through 12/30/20 data recorded in Quicken 2007 without going through the installation of and data converstion of Quicken 2013. Can the original 2007 be installed on a separate drive to access the data without conflicting with Quicken 2020? Desperately need these files for 1040 filing.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You cannot have two or more versions of Quicken installed within the same Windows system, except when you have two separate bootable hard drives or partitions with complete Windows configurations.
    If you have used Q 2007 for Windows until now, why can't you use it to complete your taxes? Is the old computer broken?
    The fastest way I can think of is to install the free copy of Q 2013 Deluxe on any computer, old or new. Let it convert your 2007 data file to the 2013 format. Work with it to complete your taxes. Once you're done, continue using Q 2013 or purchase and install (or reinstall) Q Subscription (2021) Deluxe edition or higher, as needed, to complete the upgrade.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You cannot have two or more versions of Quicken installed within the same Windows system, except when you have two separate bootable hard drives or partitions with complete Windows configurations.
    If you have used Q 2007 for Windows until now, why can't you use it to complete your taxes? Is the old computer broken?
    The fastest way I can think of is to install the free copy of Q 2013 Deluxe on any computer, old or new. Let it convert your 2007 data file to the 2013 format. Work with it to complete your taxes. Once you're done, continue using Q 2013 or purchase and install (or reinstall) Q Subscription (2021) Deluxe edition or higher, as needed, to complete the upgrade.

• NEILL D HICKS
    NEILL D HICKS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Thanks so much for your quick answer. I've used Q2007 for years because it is simple and straightforward. Unfortunately, my Lenovo computer went south in November. I salvaged the Q data, but not the program. I now have Q2020 and have been keeping transactions on it. I despise the new, over-complicated Q, but I'm now stuck with it. However, I need access to the Q2007 data for 2020 taxes. I've spent so much time and energy massaging Q2020 that the thought of even more complications reinstalling and converting makes me nauseous. [Removed-Disruptive]
    Again, thanks for your help. I guess I'm back to pencil and paper and a calculator.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to retrieve 1/1/20 through 12/30/20 data recorded in Quicken 2007 without going through the installation of and data converstion of Quicken 2013. Can the original 2007 be installed on a separate drive to access the data without conflicting with Quicken 2020? Desperately need these files for 1040 filing.

Hi @""NEILL D HICKS" ,

You mentioned on a separate drive. If you are using a Desktop Computer and have added an additional Hard Drive, you can install another copy of Windows 10 on that Hard Drive and install Quicken 2007 in that operating system and keep it separate from Quicken 2020. Yes it is possible, as I do it.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a 2nd computer that you can use?
    If yes, install Q 2013 on it, restore your Q 2007 data file and let Q 2013 open and convert it.
    When the results look correct, copy the converted file to your new computer and save it to the \Documents\Quicken folder using a name different from the newly created Quicken data file with the new 2021 transactions, e.g., Q2007data19xx-2020
    An hour or two, if all goes well, and you're ready to review your 2020 data and file your taxes, using Q Subscription (2021) for both files.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    NEILL D HICKS said:  However, I need access to the Q2007 data for 2020 taxes.
    You do realize that the data is not in the program - but in a separate QDF data file - and Quicken can open and close any number of them - just like with MS Word or MS Excel.
    So... if you have access to your old Quicken data file - why not just "open it" ? 
    You might have to go back and install some older versions of Quicken to get from Q2007 up to Q2020 ... as mentioned above by @UKR .

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• My understanding is that I cannot access the Q2007 data with Q2020. If it is possible without having to install and convert to Q2013, then can I use Q2020 to access the Q2007 data and bring it into a wholly separate account with a new name? If so, which files .q?? files do I need to bring in? If this operation is possible, then I can print reports for 2020 taxes, then get rid of the new account/data altogether. Thanks.