Lost data in old (deleted) accounts during USAA transition to new system. Help!

Have searched posts for several hours hoping to find this topic - and the solution - in vain, so here goes. Btw, I do not use bill pay.
Per my reading of the instructions,
1. I Deactivated & deleted old USAA accounts - and all that historical data!
2. Then setup new USAA accounts w/ the designated xx names and downloaded new accounts, going back to 8 Nov 20.
I no longer have access to data prior to Nov 8 that resided in the old, now deleted, USAA accounts! The 2020 (& prior) annual reports show only data from 8 Nov 20 forward.
How do I retrieve that old data?
Can I reload a backup prior to making the USAA transition with the new accounts and somehow reload data to the new accounts without deleting the old accounts and the historical data?
Much appreciated!
Snuff

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You now have two separate data files,
    old 2020 data and
    new 2021 data.
    Unfortunately, merging two data files into one is next to impossible.
    As far as I can see, the biggest mistake you made was to delete the USAA accounts, together with all their transactions. That wasn't necessary. Deactivation of the online download service for each USAA account should have been enough.
    How about you use the restored file (old 2020 data) and make a copy under a new name.
    In this copy you repeat the USAA transition process, but this time without deleting any account registers and their transactions. That should get you up to date.
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @UKR said:
    > .....In this copy you repeat the USAA transition process, but this time without deleting any account registers and their transactions. That should get you up to date.

Perfect!
    THANK YOU, UKR!!!
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    UKR,
    When I loaded a file with the old USAA accounts, an automatic sync w/ the cloud updated the file w/o a vault password being required.
    By the time the file was opened, there are no old USAA accounts or old data, and only the new accounts and the most recent download remained.

I had to
    1. Start over w/ the old file,
    2. Disable the automatic sync in the old files to save the data,
    3. And then follow the steps to the USAA transition.

The new accounts were automatically synced and the old files (& the old data) were left in tact.
    Much obliged, UKR!
    Snuff

Answers

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    > How do I retrieve that old data?
    > Can I reload a backup prior to making the USAA transition with the new accounts and somehow reload data to the new accounts without deleting the old accounts and the historical data?

Rewrite: should I
    1. reload a Quicken backup that predated my transition to the new accounts on 8 Nov, to recapture the old data in the old USAA accounts?
    2. The repeat the transition process by:
    a. Then, transferring the old data to the new USAA account;
    b. Then, delete the old USAA accounts (& the old data) and create, activate, and download the last two months data from USAA.
    c. Remove the duplicate data from the download (that has not been categorized and reconciled)

Would that work?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The easiest would be to restore a backup of your data file taken before you deleted the accounts and all their transactions. Restore the file to a different file name, e.g., Qdata-2020.QDF, so that you don't overwrite your new file.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

You can have more than one Quicken data file. To switch between files click the File Menu. You will find a list of up to 4 recently used data files at the bottom of the File Menu.

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    Thank you, UKR, for such a quick, concise response!!!
    Once the "Qdata-2020.QCD" file has been restored & can be accessed.
    Will I then be able to
    1. Copy the historical data from the "old" USAA accounts in the "old" QCD file
    2. Then past that data into the new USAA accounts in the "current" OCD file that need that data?
    3. Since the accounts were reconciled thru Jan 21, shouldn't it be easy to identify/delete the duplicated transactions from the Feb 21 download?

What am I missing?
    Again, THANK YOU!
    Snuff
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You now have two separate data files,
    old 2020 data and
    new 2021 data.
    Unfortunately, merging two data files into one is next to impossible.
    As far as I can see, the biggest mistake you made was to delete the USAA accounts, together with all their transactions. That wasn't necessary. Deactivation of the online download service for each USAA account should have been enough.
    How about you use the restored file (old 2020 data) and make a copy under a new name.
    In this copy you repeat the USAA transition process, but this time without deleting any account registers and their transactions. That should get you up to date.
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @UKR said:
    > .....In this copy you repeat the USAA transition process, but this time without deleting any account registers and their transactions. That should get you up to date.

Perfect!
    THANK YOU, UKR!!!
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    UKR,
    When I loaded a file with the old USAA accounts, an automatic sync w/ the cloud updated the file w/o a vault password being required.
    By the time the file was opened, there are no old USAA accounts or old data, and only the new accounts and the most recent download remained.

I had to
    1. Start over w/ the old file,
    2. Disable the automatic sync in the old files to save the data,
    3. And then follow the steps to the USAA transition.

The new accounts were automatically synced and the old files (& the old data) were left in tact.
    Much obliged, UKR!
    Snuff
This discussion has been closed.