Charles Schwab not accepted by Quicken or downloading transactions

Quicken for Windows Premier:

1) After changing password on Schwab website, Quicken did not accept it in password vault. A Quicken message stated 14 characters max was required, although my new password is valid for Schwab website and I previously had more than 14 characters.

2) After shortening the password to 14 characters on Schwab website and entering it into the Quicken password vault, a new error message states that Charles Schwab could not use the password I entered. It works on their website.

Answers

• garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    Meant to say: Schwab password not accepted for downloading transactions.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @garyz1 ,

On Charles Schwab, did you allow 3rd party access to your Account at Charles Schwab?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @garyz1 ,
    >
    > On Charles Schwab, did you allow 3rd party access to your Account at Charles Schwab?

Yes, I’ve been connecting through Quicken for several years. The only thing that changed was my password on the Schwab website.
  • thecreator
    Hi @garyz1 ,

Since you changed your password and it does not contain any banned Special Characters found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/password-vault-your-bank-could-not-use-password-you-entered

Deactivate 3rd party access. Sign out of Charles Schwab. Close and then open the Browser and activate 3rd party access again after the password change.

Check out operation.

• garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    I did not use banned character and password works on Schwab website.

Same result after disabling 3rd party access, logout, set new pw, reinstate 3rd party access.

When entering password in vault quicken says: "Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. could not use the password you entered."
  • Kelly4
    Kelly4 Member ✭✭
    Schwab allows me to have a 15 character pw. Quicken won't accept it.

Schwab allows me to use an asterisk "*" in my pw. Quicken won't accept it.

This is wrong. Please fix it.
  • garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    My password works to link an account to Charles Schwab, but Quicken still cannot download the transactions. When trying to update CS, either a prompt for a password or troubleshooting options displays, yet none of those help.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Kelly4 and @garyz1

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize in the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering where exactly the issue is. I believe in this case it might help trying to see on a test file if we have a similar issue. This will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we able to find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    Download Schwab transactions worked in my new test file. I noticed the program interface was different when using the test account (I did not install a new copy of quicken), there was no download/update pane at the bottom of the Schwab register, I found the update function from the settings gear.
  • thecreator
    Hi @garyz1 ,

What is the Quicken Connection Channel for the new File and the old file?
    Click Help. Hold down the F4 Function Key, while clicking About Quicken.

The choices are QCS and FDS.

• CinchMF
    CinchMF Member ✭✭✭
    I changed the password for my schwab account and when I went to update the password in Quicken I get a dialog box that says Schwab won't accept the password. When I sign in on the Schwab account everything works fine. Using windows and version R31.20
  • CinchMF
    CinchMF Member ✭✭✭
    should read "when I sign in online at the Schwab web site password works fine"
  • garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    My original file uses QCS, I already deleted the test file.

I have one Schwab account that is working with same login info using Express Web Connect. The non-working accounts use Direct Connect. I don't know how to change an account to EWC. Deactivated and reactivating online services for that account did not help.
  • thecreator
    Hi @garyz1 ,

Right now Express Web Connect is not working for Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C
    Direct Connect is only available for Charles Schwab Bank, N.A.

Click Advance Options and dot Direct Connect.

Direct Connect Connection does not use the same password, like you have for Web Access for Charles Schwab. It requires a Schwab Pin. So that's why Direct Connect is failing for you.

• CinchMF
    CinchMF Member ✭✭✭
    I don't understand this allow a third party selection are saying that is done on the Schwab web site or in Quicken somewhere. My accounts were working fine until I changed my password. Now I keep getting the dialog box saying Schwab can not use that password.
  • garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    The > @Michael Finder said:
    > I don't understand this allow a third party selection

That's a setting on the CS site, you probably have it set correctly otherwise transaction downloads would not have previously worked. Look in the Security section of that site.

Here' s something to try and please post the result:

In Quicken deactivate all CS accounts that you have before reactivating any of them. I tried that today. It's working now and I think that's what fixed it.
  • garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Right now Express Web Connect is not working for Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C
    > Direct Connect is only available for Charles Schwab Bank, N.A.
    >
    >
    > Click Advance Options and dot Direct Connect.
    >
    > Direct Connect Connection does not use the same password, like you have for Web Access for Charles Schwab. It requires a Schwab Pin. So that's why Direct Connect is failing for you.

Hi @thecreator,

I also have a CS Bank Inv Checking Account. Quicken reports that it uses EWC. No problem with that account.

The brokerage accounts say Direct Connect. Those accounts were giving me the problem after I changed password.

The brokerage accounts are working now after deactivating all CS accounts before reactivating any of them. I think that's what fixed it. They still use Direct Connect.

These accounts use my website passwords, I've never used a pin for CS.

Where exactly are "Advance Options", I don't see that under Online Services. Could you provide details on how to change the connection type?
  • CinchMF
    CinchMF Member ✭✭✭
    OK I fixed it like this. I went back and loaded a backup file from several weeks ago. Probably before some update, but I am not sure of that. After I opened the back up I immediately went to the password vault and changed the Schwab password to the new password and everything worked as it should. So to summarize: I changed my Schwab password yesterday and after the change I went to the the Quicken password vault to change the password there, and got the message that Schwab could not use my password. Tried restarting Quicken, tried rebooting my laptop, tried resetting the account tried deactivating the account and none of that worked. So I loaded a backup from several weeks ago and had to approve all the transactions in every account, credit cards, banks, brokerages etc. from two weeks ago, a lot of extra work, but it fixed the problem.
  • thecreator
    garyz1 said:
    > @thecreator said:
    > Right now Express Web Connect is not working for Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C
    > Direct Connect is only available for Charles Schwab Bank, N.A.
    >
    >
    > Click Advance Options and dot Direct Connect.
    >
    > Direct Connect Connection does not use the same password, like you have for Web Access for Charles Schwab. It requires a Schwab Pin. So that's why Direct Connect is failing for you.

Hi @thecreator,

I also have a CS Bank Inv Checking Account. Quicken reports that it uses EWC. No problem with that account.

The brokerage accounts say Direct Connect. Those accounts were giving me the problem after I changed password.

The brokerage accounts are working now after deactivating all CS accounts before reactivating any of them. I think that's what fixed it. They still use Direct Connect.

These accounts use my website passwords, I've never used a pin for CS.

Where exactly are "Advance Options", I don't see that under Online Services. Could you provide details on how to change the connection type?

Hi @garyz1 ,

Advanced Options is only available for Charles Schwab Bank, N.A.

Open Quicken, at the top, click File then New Quicken File. In the Window that opens dot New Quicken Account.

In the New Windows type in Charles Schwab.

Suggestion: Create a New Quicken Data File.

Then practice in the New Data File, Make mistakes and learn from the mistakes. That's how I learned.

Look at the bottom of the Window, next to the ? Cancel Advanced Options.

• garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @garyz1 ,
    > Advanced Options is only available for Charles Schwab Bank, N.A.
    >

...practice in the New Data File, Make mistakes and learn from the mistakes. That's how I learned...
    >

I didn't make a mistake. I simply entered my new password for CS brokerage accounts and then Quicken would no longer download the transactions.
This discussion has been closed.