I am a previous user of quicken. The one I just purchased does not have a category list. Why?

Options
I have followed the online tutorials and directions trying to find the category list. It is blank. Previous versions I have owned had a category list already available. Why do I not have a category list already installed?
Thank you.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To build up a Category List using predefined-by-Quicken categories, please go into Tools / Category List.
    Click the Options button at the bottom of the list view window.
    Select Manage Categories from the popup menu.
    In the left part of the Manage Categories view click the categories that you're interested in adding to your Category List. When done selecting, click the "Add" button.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What happens when you do TOOLS, Category List?
    And, Q's default Cat List is pretty short, why did your Cat List from your previous Q data file not come over when you opened it in the new product?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What  Version & Release - ..... Help --> About Quicken
    Are you starting a brand new Quicken QDF data file -
    or - have you opened an old/existing QDF file from previous days

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ghill
    ghill Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had not used quicken for about 6 years and have not had a copy or files from which to draw. I just purchased a disk from Office Depot and booted up. In entering checks, no categories popped up. I went into the menu to the category list and there was nothing there. I had to start making up my own. Makes me concerned that I will not get the full benefit of the program.
  • ghill
    ghill Member ✭✭
    Options
    @NotACPA I went to Tools - Category. The only categories there are the ones I made up. As I said in my first response above, I was using a brand new disk on another computer and had no files to draw from.

Another issue I am having is that the program is not syncing up with quicken cloud.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghill said: As I said in my first response above, I was using a brand new disk on another computer and had no files to draw from.
    What  Version & Release - ..... Help --> About Quicken
    and - Expiration Date

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When you open the Category List, try checking the "Show Hidden Categories" box at the bottom of that dialog.
    Can you find ANY files with .QDF or .QDF-backup on your computer?  Even a file that's older should be (maybe with some work) importable into current Q.  And that you be simpler than re-building everything.
    Lastly, if none of those help, you might have a corrupted installation.  Which would require uninstalling and re-installing Q.  DO NOT use any uninstaller other than QCleanUI.  They simply can't get deep into the Windows registry where Q stores many items... and even if they can, they don't know what to do with them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To build up a Category List using predefined-by-Quicken categories, please go into Tools / Category List.
    Click the Options button at the bottom of the list view window.
    Select Manage Categories from the popup menu.
    In the left part of the Manage Categories view click the categories that you're interested in adding to your Category List. When done selecting, click the "Add" button.
  • ghill
    ghill Member ✭✭
    Options
    @UKR - I mean this is the absolutely best possible way: YOU ARE THE MAN ( or person if you prefer). Thanks greatly. Since my wife passed away last month, taking over the check book has been a gut twister. I am not a bookkeeper, she was. This will remove the burden quite a lot. Thanks much again.
This discussion has been closed.