Validate & Repair Log file Location

Philip107
Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
Quicken for Windows Subscription.
Where is the Validate & Repair log stored when it is created? 
Whenever I do a file validate operation, regular or Super, I never see a log file when I select the button to view it. I always wonder if one is ever created or even if the operation completed successfully.
-phil
 ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----

Best Answer

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    The issue was my PC. I made Notepad the default editor again but something was amiss on my PC. Couldn't even open Notepad directly.

So, I remember, long ago, having difficulties making Notepad++ my default editor. Anyway, long story short, I had to edit the registry to get back to Notepad as the default. This key had to be deleted:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Notepad.exe

Once again, Quicken is able to correctly invoke the %APPDATA%\Quicken\Log\DATA_LOG.TXT file with Notepad as it should.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

-phil

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken should show you the log when validation completes regardless of whether there were errors. It's strange that you're not seeing it pop up in Notepad or your chosen text file editor.
    Its location is %APPDATA%\Quicken\Log\DATA_LOG.TXT

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭

Its location is %APPDATA%\Quicken\Log\DATA_LOG.TXT
    Not sure if %APPDATA% includes Roaming folder but here's where I found it:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Log

I wonder if it's a permissions issue? Quicken is able to create the file because it is from the last time I ran it so that would be weird not being able to display it. Perhaps because Notepad++ is my default editor. Maybe Quicken can invoke that.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I just realized Vim is my default text editor and Quicken doesn't care. It opens the log with Notepad anyway. I don't have Notepad++.
    Yes, %APPDATA% contains Roaming so the path you found is the same as what I suggested. There is also %LOCALAPPDATA%.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    The issue was my PC. I made Notepad the default editor again but something was amiss on my PC. Couldn't even open Notepad directly.

So, I remember, long ago, having difficulties making Notepad++ my default editor. Anyway, long story short, I had to edit the registry to get back to Notepad as the default. This key had to be deleted:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Notepad.exe

Once again, Quicken is able to correctly invoke the %APPDATA%\Quicken\Log\DATA_LOG.TXT file with Notepad as it should.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

-phil
This discussion has been closed.