Cnat get a zero balance for investment account reconcile

SmokeyToo
SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
So i have an investment account last reconciled 12/31/2020 and got zero'd out good reconcile. Now trying to do jan & feb and i get a big difference. I get the same difference whether i do jan alone or feb & jan. I have no file errors and no missing or duplicate transactions and the cash balance in the registers matches what i have online along with all the "C" transactions. What to do?

Best Answer

• SmokeyToo
    SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    ok - i figured it out based on another post which led me to un - "R" transactions and re-reconcile. I went back 1 year and jumped 6 months. All good. Then 3 months and 3 months. All good. So we are now at Jan 2021 and the the 14k difference. So where i thought the issue was turned out to be the cause i believe. I had bought some calls jan 26 and sold them on jan 28. But i had a dispute w/ the broker and just this week they had cancelled my jan sell and they then issued a new sell on the 18th of this month but back dated it to the 28th. I did a download fri BUT i did not accept the sell cancels as they actually downloaded as buys, so i deleted those downloads and deleted my original sells(which had been downloaded previously and reconciled) and i accepted the new sell order. Hence the 14k difference in the reconcile up to month end feb. So finally just now i reconciled jan, feb, up to today and all is good. So on my next statement reconcile i guess ill go from today to month end and ill be back on track.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Quicken balance matches the financial institution and you get the same difference doing January alone or January and February combined, that implies that some transaction prior to 12/31/20 got its "Clr" column changed.  At least that's the logical answer assuming nothing else is wrong.  I'd think that would stand out in the reconciliation as some prior period items showing up.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SmokeyToo

Well, one observation I have is that, since the difference is the same when you reconcile January alone and when you reconcile both January & February, it means that the error is most likely in January.

That being said - are there any placeholders in the account? 

To find out:
    1) Go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Investment Transactions";
    2) The "Show hidden transactions" box should be checked.  If it isn't already checked - check it now and click "OK".

Then go back to the account register and you should see some additional activity (i.e. placeholder(s) ).  You can also view them in the "Placeholder Entries" tab at the bottom of the register.  You need to resolve any placeholders and here's a LINK to more information about them.

If you can't figure it out, post back about what you are actually seeing and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• SmokeyToo
    SmokeyToo Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    ok - i figured it out based on another post which led me to un - "R" transactions and re-reconcile. I went back 1 year and jumped 6 months. All good. Then 3 months and 3 months. All good. So we are now at Jan 2021 and the the 14k difference. So where i thought the issue was turned out to be the cause i believe. I had bought some calls jan 26 and sold them on jan 28. But i had a dispute w/ the broker and just this week they had cancelled my jan sell and they then issued a new sell on the 18th of this month but back dated it to the 28th. I did a download fri BUT i did not accept the sell cancels as they actually downloaded as buys, so i deleted those downloads and deleted my original sells(which had been downloaded previously and reconciled) and i accepted the new sell order. Hence the 14k difference in the reconcile up to month end feb. So finally just now i reconciled jan, feb, up to today and all is good. So on my next statement reconcile i guess ill go from today to month end and ill be back on track.
This discussion has been closed.