What should I do if Quicken won't import a downloaded bank qfx file? (Q Mac)

Options
JB832
JB832 Member
I recently accidentally locked myself out of the Quicken file I have built over several years, so I am having to start from scratch with a new file. I have managed to download most of what I need, but sometimes, for a credit card file, it will only accept about a month's worth of data. So when I go to the card's site and download a qfx file, and try to import it through the import item on the file menu, it is not accepting the import. What am I doing wrong?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just in case this is your issue... sometimes you cannot link an importing QFX file to the existing account. Instead you have to create a new account. If this is your issue, then that's okay. Just let Quicken create the new account. Then drag and drop all the transactions from that account's register to the existing account in the sidebar.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Sheila
    Sheila Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    A few questions: Do you get any errors? What happens when you try to import the file? Have you tried double-clicking the file in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac)? Hate to ask this question, but did you select File > File Import > Web Connect?

Open the QFX file in a text editor like Notepad. See if there are any account names or transactions in it. If there are none, then there were no new transactions found in your accounts since the last download, or you'll have to contact the credit card company.

I hope this helps.
    Sheila
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just in case this is your issue... sometimes you cannot link an importing QFX file to the existing account. Instead you have to create a new account. If this is your issue, then that's okay. Just let Quicken create the new account. Then drag and drop all the transactions from that account's register to the existing account in the sidebar.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ahowell
    ahowell Member ✭✭
    Options
    RickO, you just saved me two years of manual entry. I suspected there was a way, but simply did not know how, until I read your suggestion above. The drag and drop method worked! Big Thanks!
  • JB832
    JB832 Member
    Options
    I have also learned to go down to the the Settings icon on the lower right of each account's page, then open the Downloads tab, and at the bottom of that page, change the transactions date. As RickO mentions, sometimes the results won't link to the existing account, but then I use the drag and drop method he describes.
    Thank you to all who answered.
This discussion has been closed.