USAA transaction downloads pending transactions [edited]

Comments

• tankboy25
    tankboy25 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I'm still downloading pending transactions from all USAA accounts.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    I thought the Quicken update installed yesterday would fix this. Downloaded two transactions yesterday. Downloaded two identical transactions this morning from USAA credit card. Not resolved yet. Will continue to monitor.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I thought the Quicken update installed yesterday would fix this. Downloaded two transactions yesterday. Downloaded two identical transactions this morning from USAA credit card. Not resolved yet. Will continue to monitor.
    No patch for Quicken is going to fix this.  USAA has to send the right transactions, Quicken can't "make them up" or "fix them".  If started deleting transactions that it "thought" were pending it would just cause more problems.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Kris Kringle
    Kris Kringle Member ✭✭
    Yup - still downloading pending transactions as well as "duplicate" transaction information in the memo line. What a PITA.
  • tankboy25
    tankboy25 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I found this contact info for USAA and emailed Vicky Bonney, Director, CEO Member Relations.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/usaa-customer-service-contacts/
  • rm54tm46
    rm54tm46 Member ✭✭✭
    I've been having the same duplicate download problem as others to my USAA credit card account. Here is a recent example with some details.
    On 3/1 (Monday) 4 recent transactions downloaded to my Windows Ver 31.20 build 37.1.31.20 program via 1-step automatic update. This was the first time I had seen them, so I logged on to USAA account and the 4 transactions were NOT listed as pending.
    This morning, 3/2, the automatic update generated the same 4 transactions which had already been posted as cleared.
    The downloaded ID (which I confirmed is the same as the FTID in from the OFX log was not the same on the 2 days. In the second download they all appeared as "new" again.
    Curiously, and probably irrelevant, in the 3/1 download the IDs for all 4 started with this string: MDIvMjcvMjEoJD -- except for the letter after the first "j" varied. The IDs for the second download were unique across the 4 transactions and, unlike the 3/1 download, the 3/2 ID's contained no lower case letters.
    Hope this helps someone with more understanding of the underlying system than I have decode and fix the problem.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    update: 3/2/2021 - downloaded transactions from USAA credit yesterday. downloaded same transactions today.
  • rm54tm46
    rm54tm46 Member ✭✭✭
    Adding to my 3/2 comment. Late on 3/2 I checked the USAA site and found 4 credit card transactions pending. Early on 3/3, I checked the site again and it showed that 1 of those 4 transactions had posted. I then started Quicken and did a 1-step update. The 1 transaction that had switched from pending downloaded, but none of the still pending transactions did. In addition, however, 3 transactions that had downloaded early on 3/2 downloaded again on 3/3 creating duplicate entries. So, this does not, for me, seem to be a pending vs. posted issue

There is something going on with the transaction IDs that must be related to the duplication issue. As mentioned in my immediately prior post, the first time a transaction downloads the Download ID looks like this example, a combination of upper and lower case letters, and some numbers:
    MDIvMjYvMjEoJDkuOTkpMjQ0MzEwNjFU
    The second time it downloads the ID form is a more standard hexidecimal looking:
    E2268063300A177F075663F26A2E0420.
    Both of these are from the same transaction the first downloaded 3/1 the second on 3/2.
    In my case, all the first download IDs since the USAA system change in late January have started with MDIvMJ. Second download ID's have no clear pattern.
    Lastly on the ID front, there has been a format change in the IDs since the USAA system change. Prior to roughly 1/25, the format was as shown in this example. The ID starts with the posting date and the transaction amount:
    01/25/21($6.22)24137460T00NK699Y
    Of course, if you have a magic decoder ring, the new IDs may contain the same type of information.

If the IDs are USAA generated, then some Quicken authority should resolve the issue with them. However, compounding the problem, when I click "edit/match manually" in the download window for transactions that I know are duplicates, Quicken does not offer the previously downloaded and cleared transactions (the MDIvMj etc. ones). So I can't match it and have to manually delete one of them. In fact, the match manually only offers cleared transactions prior to the 1/25 system change as possibilities. This seems to be a Quicken issue.

Hope this helps someone solve the problem. I'm now going to clean up my register.
  • tankboy25
    tankboy25 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    This contact info for USAA, Vicky Bonney, Director, CEO Member Relations, is correct. I got a call from USAA corporate offices and was assigned a case worker. He said I should get a call soon. When I do I'll try and get a direct contact for everyone to go direct with.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/usaa-customer-service-contacts/
  • SGK
    SGK Member ✭✭
    Thanks for opening a case. I got another duplicate transaction today. it was a payment to USAA, so even their internal transactions are downloading twice. I've had duplicate transactions every day this week and most of last. It is so bad that I've considered getting rid of the USAA Visa and opening an account elsewhere. It started when USAA changed their servers.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    > @tankboy25 said:
    > This contact info for USAA, Vicky Bonney, Director, CEO Member Relations, is correct. I got a call from USAA corporate offices and was assigned a case worker. He said I should get a call soon. When I do I'll try and get a direct contact for everyone to go direct with.
    >
    > https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/usaa-customer-service-contacts/

Thank you for opening the case. update: 3/6/2021 - downloaded transactions from USAA credit yesterday. downloaded same transactions today.
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭✭
    Since 20 Feb, I've messaged USAA twice without response. Checking just now, I saw that there are now duplicate copies of both outgoing messages on the USAA website!
  • rcrosby54
    rcrosby54 Member ✭✭
    I messaged USAA last week about the problem, still no reply. Clearly everyone, both Quicken and USAA are aware of the issue, not even a "Were Working on it" message. Shifting to my BAC card until they (Quicken or USAA) fix this duplicate issue.
  • JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    @tankboy25 - Thanks for the contact info for Ms. Bonney. I just sent her an email voicing my concern and asking for her to investigate and communicate what's going on and steps being taken to correct it.

If you're reading this and you haven't send an email, please consider doing so. The more people that complain, the more likely it is the issue will bubble up and get the attention of senior management...
  • JubJub
    JubJub Member ✭✭
    As of March 10, still getting duplicate transactions. No reply from my email to Ms. Bonney...Not surprised....
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭✭
    I received a call from "Jennifer" at USAA two days ago acknowledging Quicken issues and asking if I would be available for a call from USAA's tech support team. She took down the details as I knew them and I'm awaiting further contact.
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭✭
    @Richard Troy said:
    > I received a call from "Jennifer" at USAA two days ago acknowledging Quicken issues and asking if I would be available for a call from USAA's tech support team. She took down the details as I knew them and I'm awaiting further contact."

I got a callback today from customer service acknowledging the issue as a USAA Critical Priority and Tech Support is working it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth I really do believe that USAA has been working on these problems all along.  There was just so many of them and they take time to find and fix, and then they most likely have their hands full with their "security login update" for the rest of the servers and such.

I base that statement on the fact that at one point they were sending every transaction as a transfer, and that seems to have stopped.  They were also sending 0 for the check number at one point, and I haven't seen that on the last transaction I just got.  And I have a pending transaction that hasn't downloaded yet, so that is promising.

With that said note that I only have a checking and savings account with USAA, I don't have the USAA credit card.  It seems to have its own "duplicate transaction" problem.  BTW I think it is important to note that before the USAA credit card was Express Web Connect only, and now it has Direct Connect.  So when this is said and done I think people will actually have a better connection for the future.  Not to mention that using a completely different "Access Id" and "Access PIN" seems like a very good idea security wise.
    Signature:
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    Received reply to my email to USAA. They will be contacting me to discuss. I usually only download in the morning, but for the heck of it I just downloaded now and got 3 more credit card transactions for the 3rd time.
    Quicken user since 1986
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    update: 3/12/2021 - downloaded transaction from USAA credit yesterday. downloaded same transaction today. Also (like others here) sent note to USAA today about the issue (squeaky wheel gets the grease).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well it looks like I spoke to soon at least on the 0 check number.  I just got a transaction with a 0 check number.
    Signature:
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    Chris. All of my check numbers come in as 0.
    Quicken user since 1986
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Lakedaisy said:
    Chris. All of my check numbers come in as 0.
    Good information.  My transactions actually aren't suppose to have a check number at all.  So it seems with your findings that even when the check number is available to USAA for the transaction, it doesn't send it.
    Signature:
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Follow up from the email I received from USAA on 3/11. I received an email from Troy (office of the CEO) on 3/15 stating he tried to contact me, but couldn't. USAA has my phone # and never called me, or left a voicemail. I called Troy back the same day 3/15 and left him a voicemail. This is the last I've heard from USAA. Now downloading double credit card transactions every day. As I use my credit card for every purchase I can to build cash back every month, I have a lot of transactions to check every day. I delete most since they download multiple times, the same transactions keep recurring. Going to send Vicky Bonney, Director, CEO Member Relations another email today.
    Quicken user since 1986
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on for about two months now.  Makes me wonder why I bother putting my money in financial institutions.  I know it's not Quicken's fault, but it makes me wonder why I continue using it, too.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    update: 3/29/2021 - downloaded transactions from USAA credit day before yesterday. downloaded same transactions yesterday.
  • Michael Dulaney
    Michael Dulaney Member ✭✭✭
    Try This. In Quicken, Change the Register display to show the FITID (Financial Institution Transaction Identifier) column. It looks to me like there are two mirror servers with a slightly different configuration. One is assigning FITIDs with an alphanumeric value and the second is assigning hexadecimal values. On successive attempts to synch your transactions, one time you contact to the server with FITDS in "Alphanumeric" and the next time you connect to the server with "Hexadecimal" FITIDs. Quicken sees the mismatch and downloads the transaction again as a duplicate. This isn't rocket science.
  • Michael Dulaney
    Michael Dulaney Member ✭✭✭
    The preceeding comment is referring to downloading USAA VISA card transactions and getting duplicate transactions. I made screenshots of my register, marked the screenshots up with circles and arrows showing the duplicate transactions with discreet FITISs and attached them to a letter to Wayne Peacock, CEO of USAA asking him to present them to USAA's software developers. No results yet.
  • Richard Troy
    Richard Troy Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Based on my two phone calls with USAA, I have no reason to believe they don't understand the issue and are working it. Has it been going on a long time? Yes. But so has the dreaded Vanguard OL-293-A issue. To avoid frustration, I've used workarounds and convinced myself these issues are simple, but not easy to resolve. Not that we shouldn't keep the pressure on, but for me there's enough angst in our lives as it is.
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    Richard Troy, I too spent a fruitless hour with a front-line tech support desk person who could not grasp the issue, didn't understand what a FITID was, but finally created a fuzzy ticket and escalated it. I then used the messaging function of the USAA Website to upload basically the same info as Michael Dulaney sent upthread and tied it to the Incident ticket I had previously opened. Oddly, I have not seen the issue in the last two days. The FITID's in my Quicken are the mixed alphanumeric (good) ones, with no "MD..." identical FITID's coming across. Perhaps this is fixed for me. I hope it's fixed for others.
This discussion has been closed.