Investment transaction ghosting

mhsherman461
mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
The online center shows that there are two (actual) transactions for a Vanguard IRA account, but when I "compare to list" these do not show up as downloaded transactions in the register. Strangely the "delete" button is lit, but there is nothing to delete.

I have entered the transactions manually, but I can't remove them from the online center. Also the "compare to register" option in "holdings" is greyed out for that one account.

Validates and rebooting have not helped. How can I fix this?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @mhsherman461

I am not sure that I understand what you have posted, but when you say mhsherman461 said:
    I have entered the transactions manually, but I can't remove them from the online center. 
    Are you talking about the same transactions that you reference in your first paragraph above?  If so, are the dates of the transactions you made "manually" the same as the dates of the transactions that were downloaded?  Any other differences between the two?

If they are the same transactions, I would suggest that you delete the two manually entered transactions and accept the downloaded ones.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Sorry for being confusing. The manually entered transactions don't matter. I have the issue with and without.

The issue is that there is nothing in the Downloaded Transaction at the bottom of the register.
    But I can see these transactions in the "transactions" tab of the Online Center and can't get rid of them.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, let's see if you can push those transactions in the Online Center through. First, go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Downloaded Transactions".  Click the box to "Automatically add to banking registers", then hit "OK". Next, go to the register to see if there are new transactions which show up in the register. Hopefully that will "get rid of them" and/or at least allow you to deal with them.

Then go back  to 
    "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Downloaded Transactions" and turn off the "Automatically add to banking registers", then hit "OK".

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    No change, I'm afraid. :(
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @mhsherman461

I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.  Based on the information that you've provided, I think the best course of action would be for you to contact Quicken Support.  They have the ability to review your log files and hopefully will be able to help you fix this problem.  I suggest that you contact them tomorrow during business hours - here's their LINK.

Please let us know how that goes.

Frankx

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    So I talked to support and they suggested all the same things, I tried. It is impossible to even deactive the bad account from dowloading, which I thought might help.

The only option was to go to a backup file from before whatever happened happened. For me that was about 10 days. That worked but I had to reenter a bunch of stuff.

I did validate the file to check. It reported the usual sorts of warnings, but nothing serious. After the validation, my scheduled transaction list was empty. That is now a problem. Is there a way to export the scheduled transactions list from a backup and import it?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hi again @mhsherman461

There isn't an export feature for scheduled transactions.  The best you can do is to print out the list from the old data file.  Here are the steps to do that:

1) In the Homepage top ribbon - click on "Bills" > select "Bill and Income Reminders";
    2) Click on the "All Bills & Deposits" tab > in the upper right - click on the "Print" icon.

You also might want to print the "monthly Bills & Deposits" tab.

Frankx

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    TIA,
    So QFX import won't help. :(
    Is there anything special for my mortgage?
    Also any idea why the list would get nuked by Validate?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you may be able to export selected historical transactions to QFX and then import those into an account, but a QFX file can only hold transactions - not reminders (which is what i thought you were seeking).

I believe that the mortgage account should be intact, except for whatever payments may have been made since the date of the backup file you restored.  So, you'll just need to enter them again.

I have no idea why you lost data through the Validate file process, but I am not a systems person.  I can say that I've heard of other people having that issue but the explanation always seems to be data corruption.

Let me know if you have any other questions as you move forward, or you can always call Support for technical questions.

Frankx  

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    As it turns out. The reminder/scheduled transaction data was not lost. Rather there were a whole bunch of blank reminders inserted for the time of the validatation and the real ones were just hiding below. I just had to delete the bogus ones and it seems to be OK
This discussion has been closed.