How does one increase the cost of securities when there are no additional shares/units issued.

Various mutual funds and ETFs sometimes report increases to the cost of the fund units or ETF shares although no cash was distributed nor additional units/shares issued. These increases are reported on T3 slips and must be tracked for tax purposes.

Quicken does not allow one to add to the cost of a security without recording it as a purchase requiring the number of units/shares and price. I sometimes use .0001 as the number of units being added which of course results in a very large number being recorded as the price for that date. This ends up with the number of units outstanding being incorrect by a small amount and sometimes throws off some of the Investment Reports.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You might try a RtrnCapX transaction with a negative amount and a ‘transfer’ account that is the same as the holding account. 

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You might try a RtrnCapX transaction with a negative amount and a ‘transfer’ account that is the same as the holding account. 
  • Bingo- that works! I had tried the negative RtnCap before but it wud not accept the negative amount. But adding the transfer makes it work Thanks!!!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly -- If you enter a negative value RtrnCap transaction in line (directly into the transaction list), the program changes it to a positive (decreases the cost basis).  If you enter the negative value RtrnCap through the Enter Transactions button, the data is taken as entered (increases the cost basis).  I am not seeing a difference if a transfer account is added to the mix.