Why Do My Reports Show Residual Balance of - .01 for Empty Account?

Van Canucks Fan
Van Canucks Fan Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I did an F/X transfer between 2 Investment Accounts several years ago (1 USD and 1 CAD) which emptied out one Account. To do this I entered in the appropriate F/X rate in the transfer transaction. This looks fine when you view the Accounts; one has a balance of $0 and the other has the funds. However when I run a report on both Accounts the one that is supposed to be empty shows a residual balance of $-.01. Why did this happen, and is there a way to fix it?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you, in the account with the sale side of the transactions, use a specific number of shares to be sold?
    Q, probably, held a tiny fractional share also ... resulting in the $0.01.
    Change that transaction to a "Sell All Share" and see if the penny goes away.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Van Canucks Fan
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Did you, in the account with the sale side of the transactions, use a specific number of shares to be sold?Q, probably, held a tiny fractional share also ... resulting in the $0.01.Change that transaction to a "Sell All Share" and see if the penny goes away.

I only held full shares in the problem (USD) account so I'm confident it isn't that. My reports that I am running are set to display in Canadian Dollars, and the empty USD Account shows a residual cash balance of $-.01. When I set the same reports to display in US Dollars, the USD Account shows no residual cash balance. I am pretty sure it's just some F/X translation issue
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you edit that transaction and fiddle around with the FX rate to eliminate that $0.01? 
    I expect that the FX rate has multiple decimal points, so try adjusting the rightmost decimal digit UP by one place

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Van Canucks Fan
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Can you edit that transaction and fiddle around with the FX rate to eliminate that $0.01? 
    > I expect that the FX rate has multiple decimal points, so try adjusting the rightmost decimal digit UP by one place

Adjusting the F/X rates doesn't seem to make a difference. I think it is a reporting bug. I just noticed that, if I change the "Interval" setting on the report, I get different results for the empty Account. It will display a balance anywhere from $-.06 to $.01 depending on what interval I choose. Weird
This discussion has been closed.