My ETF changed names and split.

Two of my ETF's changed name and split (JKD now ILCB and JKE now ILCG). After I updated online the # of shares, price per share and total value all displayed correctly. The quicken security detail window still displays the old ETF name and symbol. I am worried about changing the name and symbol manually because it might cause problems with future ETF price updates and might affect my cost basis in Quicken. Suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Walt C,

While it is unlikely that the old symbols would actually affect your cost basis, there's an easy way to fix your issue.  

Go to: "Tools" > "Security List".  Page down until you reach the first security and make sure that there are no check marks in either the "Download Quotes or the "Watch List" columns.

That should prevent those old symbols from potentially changing any of your prior data for those securities.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Walt C,

While it is unlikely that the old symbols would actually affect your cost basis, there's an easy way to fix your issue.  

Go to: "Tools" > "Security List".  Page down until you reach the first security and make sure that there are no check marks in either the "Download Quotes or the "Watch List" columns.

That should prevent those old symbols from potentially changing any of your prior data for those securities.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ref:  https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201215005643/en/PRODUCT-UPDATE-iShares-Morningstar-U.S.-Equity-Style-Box-ETFs

First, I'll assume BlackRock or your investment advisor has told you these changes are 'tax-free'.  I did not dig deep enough to confirm that.  

If that is the case, I would choose to rename and reticker the securities.  Your other option is to use the MF conversion or Security Acquisition wizards.  Renaming keeps things simpler in my opinion though it does misstate the history (You'll show ownership of the new name throughout and no records specific to the old name.  Retickering will not impact your cost basis information and records.  

You will also want to uncheck the box about "Matched with online security".  With your next download if not sooner you'll get the opportunity to match correctly.  

I would do the Stock Split after the renaming.

Naturally, backup first -- just in case you need to undo, redo, or have a change of mind. 
This discussion has been closed.