Quick Pay and Chase?

Yesterday I tried to use Quick Pay to pay a chase credit card. It failed. I was told "Your payment was cancelled because Chase requires that you enter a new one-time code verification. Please try your payment again and enter the one-time verification code."
If I try to redo the Quick Pay, I'm told "You need to correct your signin information for the biller before making a payment: click 'Refresh Bill' on the drop-down menu". Of course, Quicken does just fine downloading transactions for this account, and I could pay from my bank, but I really want to resolve this issue. So first, What drop down menu??? And where might I find and enter this one-time verification code? Please HELP.
I have successfully paid all of credit card bills with Quick Pay for a few months now. Nothing new here on my side.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Granny Franny

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. It looks like a small amount of users were asked by Chase to re-authenticate their chase biller before their payment could be processed.

The steps are to click on the drop down for the biller, within the Bills & Income dashboard and to select Refresh Bill. This will provide them with an option to Update Login

That will trigger a verification code (MFA) to reconnect the account

Once you have a chance to try this let us know if you're able to get your payment sent.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Granny Franny

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. It looks like a small amount of users were asked by Chase to re-authenticate their chase biller before their payment could be processed.

The steps are to click on the drop down for the biller, within the Bills & Income dashboard and to select Refresh Bill. This will provide them with an option to Update Login

That will trigger a verification code (MFA) to reconnect the account

Once you have a chance to try this let us know if you're able to get your payment sent.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Granny Franny
    Granny Franny Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Francisco.

As you indicated, clicking on the drop down for the biller, within the Bills & Income dashboard and selecting Refresh Bill triggered Chase to send me a one-time password. I recommend that the commentary that pops up in Quicken be updated to give specific information as to where to find that drop-down, as your message to me did.

However, after that this bill had to be re-linked to the biller, who holds several of my credit cards, and it got linked to the wrong credit card. I finally removed the bill reminder completely and re-entered it, as it was no longer a Quick Pay biller. It took about an hour for me to finally pay my credit card bill.

As a retired IT professional, I need to tell you that I fear that the whole Bill manager approach is something of a nightmare, and that others will give up in frustration. Check Pay takes forever: the bills I pay by check are now scheduled about 2 weeks earlier than before to be sure they arrive on time (yes, there are Post Office issues). Quick Pay is a nightmare to set up. Perhaps a YouTube video showing how to change a normal reminder to a Quick Pay reminder would help.

I really want Quicken to be a success, but I fear that soon only folks like myself who are willing to struggle to keep it working for us will be left.
  • rpdolan
    rpdolan Member ✭✭
    It is good to hear that I am not the only one having issues with Quick Pay and Bill Pay. Quick Pay has been a nightmare. I never used to miss payment deadlines, now I find some of my monthly bills having a due date 2 to 3 months in the future. I missed a few of these and the payment ended up late. What happened to the current month reminder? With my linked accounts, it always asks to refresh your bill (which takes forever), then you receive a message "account has been updated, waiting for the most recent bill". My due date is one week away, why is the current bill never found? I find myself constantly going to the biller website and downloading my monthly bill from their website. I think now I have only 2 or 3 linked bills left, I converted most of my monthly bills to autopay. I always have been pulling for Quicken, I have been a user for 25 years, but it really has been frustrating. I get so many confusing messages, I am constantly trying to do and redo things and correct errors.
  • Granny Franny
    Granny Franny Member ✭✭
    Well, It's a couple of months later, and my Quick Pay troubles with Chase are back. I have 2 credit cards with Chase, Amazon and Disney. Time to pay my Amazon bill. Can't find it in my payee list. After removing and trying to relink the biller, I can see my Disney account, but still no Amazon. In the past, when I did this Quicken would show me all of the accounts that it found at Chase and get my input. No more. In frustration I paid the Amazon bill directly from Chase (easy peasy, but then I had to go back to Quicken and add the transaction). I have also had all of the issues described by rpdolan above, and I just don't wait for Quicken to present my bills or pay attention to its idea of when the next bill is due.
    On the upside, I had some really nasty problems a few weeks back, and Quicken support cheerfully spent hours and eventually made me whole and very happy. As soon as time permits, I'll try them out on this latest issue.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How to avoid late fees and penalty interest rates

Are you about to be late with making your bill payment due to failures or unexpected delays in Quicken Bill Manager (Quick Pay or Check Pay) that can't be resolved in a timely fashion?
    I recommend you logon directly to the biller's website and authorize them to direct debit the next (and perhaps all future) payments from your checking account or a credit card. The biller will make an electronic debit on the due date and you don't have to worry about being late. In Quicken just record a scheduled reminder that does not execute as an online payment into your account register on or before the Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank or credit card containing the debit transaction. That will allow Quicken to match your register transaction to the downloaded data and not cause any further issues.

• Granny Franny
    Granny Franny Member ✭✭
    UKR: thanks for your input. It's a great workaround and in fact, it's what I just did. I just want Quicken to work that way it should.
This discussion has been closed.