Quicken for mac will not display the portfolio securities for one of my retirement accounts.

MSH
MSH Member
The problem account will list all transactions, but when I go to the portfolio tab it shows the graph, but does not list the securities. When I check the configure columns tab "name" is light grey. All other displayed column names are black. Dragging "name" back and forth does not correct. All other retirement and nonretirement accounts display portfolios "name" in the configure columns tab is black in color. Anyone know how to correct this problem?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What do you see in the body of the Portfolio section? Does it say "This portfolio has no securities or cash"?

I think the name column issue is a red herring. AFAIK, "Name" should always be gray when configuring columns in a portfolio view because the Name column is required and cannot be removed. Can you post a screenshot where you're seeing Name in black when configuring columns for Portfolio view. This could be because there does appear to be a bug in the column configurator. I find that if I drag the Name item to the left side (Available), it does move in the configurator. And it turns black. However, that doesn't (and shouldn't) affect the actual display. If you drag it back to the right side, it can land in other than the first position. However the actual column is always at the far left. Again, this appears to be just a bug in the column configurator display. 

That said, none of this (Name column configuration) would affect whether or not you see securities listed in the body of the Portfolio. I can think of a couple of reasons why the portfolio may appear empty and show "this portfolio has no securities...":
    1. The Price and Holdings As Of date at the top right is set to a date before the account held any securities.
    2. There is something amiss with the transactions. Go to the transactions view and put the name of one security in the search box, top right. Display the Share Balance column and sort the register by Date. Make sure that the latest Share Balance shown is non-zero.
    That's all I can think of at the moment. More screenshots may be helpful in ferreting this out.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • MSH
    MSH Member
    Thanks for the advice. I just figured out the problem. By making the graph smaller (drag the bottom of the graph upward) the securities listed below the graph were made visible. They were there all along, graph was just taking up too much room to let me see them.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I almost never display the graph, and never that large so wasn't aware of this. Interesting that you can make the graph so large that only the header row is visible with no indication that the portfolio value rows are all hidden.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.