Hanging updates, with a twist

Options
When I try to update some, but not all, of my accounts, Quicken hangs during the update and the only way to stop it is by doing "End Task" in the Windows Task Manager.

I spent a long time on the phone with Quicken Support and at the very end they suggested that I create a new Windows user and try to do the update while signed in as that new user. That worked. When I went back and signed in as the original user and tried to do an update, it hung as before. (I made the QDF file accessible to both users.)

In attempt to figure out what about that user is causing the problem, I deleted (well, renamed out of the way) the Quicken-specific folders under <my home folder>\AppData:

...\AppData\Roaming\Quicken
...\AppData\Local\Quicken
...\AppData\Local\Quicken_Inc

This didn't help though. I looked in the Windows Registry but didn't find any Quicken-specific keys.

Has anyone else seen this type of hanging behavior before?

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @Nathaniel Mishkin

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue although, I apologize that you have not received a response.

Creating a new admin account tests for issues within the admin/computer settings. There seems to be an issue with privacy/security that prevents Quicken from running and possibly connecting to the internet.

Unfortunately, I can specifically say the cause of the issue as it is related to the admin of the computer. I would recommend contacting Microsoft directly for assistance in isolating https://support.microsoft.com/contactus

You may also move all of your information to the new admin and move forward using the newly created admin.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @Nathaniel Mishkin

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue although, I apologize that you have not received a response.

Creating a new admin account tests for issues within the admin/computer settings. There seems to be an issue with privacy/security that prevents Quicken from running and possibly connecting to the internet.

Unfortunately, I can specifically say the cause of the issue as it is related to the admin of the computer. I would recommend contacting Microsoft directly for assistance in isolating https://support.microsoft.com/contactus

You may also move all of your information to the new admin and move forward using the newly created admin.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Nathaniel Mishkin
    Nathaniel Mishkin Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Tyka,

Thanks for your response. What's puzzling is that I can update _some_ of my accounts, including ones using Direct Connect, which is what's being used to connect to the accounts I can't update. So if it's an Internet connection issue, it's a subtle one. It'd be great if Quicken could log some more info on where exactly it's getting stuck. I looked at the Quicken logs I could find but didn't find any clues. Do you have any other suggestions? Microsoft Support is unlikely to be able to help me without some more details from the Quicken side of things.

Thanks.

Nat