How to import csv for credit card into Splits in the check register for the transactions

Each month I download all my transactions from the bank and credit cards, and they go to the appropriate accounts. But in the Register for the checking account, when I pay a credit card, I want to split the total into transactions by budget category. I have that info in the credit card account, but have to enter it by hand into the Split for the Check Register. Is there an automated way to do this that I don't know about?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the budget categories for the transactions in the credit card account.  You are saying you already have them there.  The payment from your checking account should be a transfer to the CC account (category as [Credit card account name]).  You are creating unnecessary work for yourself.  
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

you can include both accounts in one report. You should only enter the charges in the credit card account. Only enter anything in one place.

To enter credit card....

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. The transactions need to be entered with the date you charged it, not the date you pay the credit card bill.

Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.  Then your credit card account should match what you actually owe at any time.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.