Opening Quicken with established budget and Quicken reports NO BUDGET CREATED

Options
When opening Quicken with a known and established budget, then clicking on the PLANNING tab, Quicken reports that no budget exists - create a new budget. If Quicken is closed, then restarted, all is well.

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Hickory 1199, 

Thank you for reaching out here on Quicken Community. I am sorry that you are experiencing trouble with your budget not being retained. To better assist you I need a few more details. For instance, did you import your file recently? What version are you using? Did you create a back up, if so where is the main file stored?

Once I have more details I will be able to diagnose this issue. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Hickory 1199
    Hickory 1199 Member ✭✭
    Options
    In response to your questions:
    1. Did you import your file recently?
    - No.

2. What version are you using?
    - Version R33.24, Build 27.1.33.24

3. Did you create a back up, if so where is the main file stored?
    - Yes, Quicken is configured to backup the data file at every close of the application, and both the data and backup files are stored on a Networked Attached Storage (NAS) device.

As additional information, nothing has changed with the implementation of the Quicken application. The desktop computer in use has recently changed from a hardwired Ethernet connection to a wireless network adapter. That change was made nearly two months ago, while this anomaly was first noticed yesterday.

We've been making and using the budgeting feature of Quicken since, well, since it first became available back when it rounded budgeted values to the nearest whole dollar amount (yuck). In fact, our first version of Quicken was installed on MS DOS 3.0 - you might say we've been at this for a while...

;^}
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In response to your questions:
    3. Did you create a back up, if so where is the main file stored?
    - Yes, Quicken is configured to backup the data file at every close of the application, and both the data and backup files are stored on a Networked Attached Storage (NAS) device.

And that's where the fly lies in the ointment.
    It is not recommended and not supported by Quicken to store an active Quicken data file on anything other than your internal hard drive or SSD. Lost or delayed IP packets between your computer and the NAS device may cause problems up to and including total loss of the data file.
    I recommend you move your active data file to a folder on your internal hard drive or SSD,
    e.g., C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken.
    Make sure this folder is NOT processed by any network backup software (NAS backup, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.) while Quicken is running. At exit from Quicken, let Quicken create both an Automatic and a Manual Backup every time you close Quicken. See Edit / Preferences / Backup to enable and change backup settings.
This discussion has been closed.