Quicken Keeps re-naming account to N/A

Austin - Q User
Austin - Q User Member ✭✭
Hi, I have a few accounts, all of them are new ones that I added to Quicken over the last couple of months that were named to N/A. I use file operations to run validation on the file. The data log reported it found a damage category and removed it. However, when I try to re-name the file from N/A to the original one, it won't let me saying the name is already in use. I even tried deleting the account and setting up a new one but the same problem happens with the new account name. After I closed the file and re-opened it, the new name was also named N/A and Quicken won't let me re-name it back to the new account name. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Answers

• Hello@Austin - Q User

Thank you for posting in the Community today, though I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue with you accounts in Quicken.

First, please be sure that you are using the latest Quicken software update. Please go to HELP> CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Next, review THIS ARTICLE on hidden accounts. You stated that in one attempt to change the name a message appeared saying that the name is already in use. There may be an account with that name that has been hidden.

Also, be sure that the data file is saved and opened directly from the hard drive, rather that from Dropbox or any other shared network.

I hope this helps, please let us know how it goes!

Thank you

Quicken Diana

• Austin - Q User
    Hi,
    Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, this didn't help solve my problem.

I am already using the latest quicken version (R33.24).

I also checked the hidden accounts and couldn't find any hidden or closed accounts with the names Quickens thinks are already in use. However, it still won't let me rename the account from N/A to those names. I can re-name it a different name. Everything works fine but when I close quicken and re-open it reverts the names back to N/A.

I did move my datafile to the hard drive after I started having this issue. It was previously located on a removable USB drive for many years.

I also ran File operations -> Validate file on my data file. The log shows that it found several QDF damaged data record and subsequently a number of messages that state "Quicken repaired account. No action required." Interesting, if I re-run validation a second time without making any other changes, I get more messages indicating QDF damaged data record. If the damaged data records were fixed the first time, why am I seeing more data errors on the second time validating the same file?

Please let me know if there are any other pointers on what I should try.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are seeing the exact wording "damaged data record" in your validation log, sorry, the news is not good. It means your data are permanently and irreparably damaged. You will never get this file to work. Your 2 choices are to restore a backup taken before the problems started or to start a fresh new data file. 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Austin - Q User
    Got it, thanks. My last uncorrupted backup file is 3 months old so just have to reconstruct the last 3 months (still a lot better than starting a new data file and losing 20+ years of financial history). Lesson Learned: Backup more often.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For reference ...

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• anivag
    anivag Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I have same exact problem, but it only started happening after my quicken license expired. it happens intermittently. if I close file and re-open it mostly goes away for accounts. But I noticed that now quicken started putting N/A in my transaction notes etc. [removed - speculation/disruptive]
This discussion has been closed.