Quicken 2017 CD lost

I lost my 2017 CD but have an active working installation on my desktop. As the system board failed I upgraded it and W10 needed to be reinstalled, which I did on a new disk. So I have the old disk which has a different drive letter now and want to use Quicken again. What do I need to transfer to the new W10 drive to get it working again?

Best Answer

• Win
    Win Member
    Answer ✓
    Ok it's clear. I think the subscription program is the only option left. Thanks.

Answers

• Win
    Win Member
    I copied the complete quicken folder from the old C: drive to the new one but that does not work. Neither does starting it in the old drive.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In general for Windows programs you need to do the install because the install will add/change Windows registry entries.  Quicken on the other hand might work by copying files because it uses very little of the Windows registry and instead stores most of it configuration in files.

Copy \ProgramData\Intuit (and Quicken if it is there)
    Copy \Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Intuit (and Quicken if it is there)
    Copy \Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Win
    Win Member
    Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I did copy all three folders, the Quicken (x86) as well as the ProgramData and Appdata folders ( these were Intuit and not Quicken) but it still does not work. Probably it does need a registry key or so that is not there.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you can find the 2017 program on the Internet to buy.  But watch out for illegitimate copies.  Or you can upgrade to the newest version.

If you find and install an older version, One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

And Quicken 2017 started out using a Intuit ID, not a Quicken ID.  Any patch version earlier than R11 is going to be trying to log into the Intuit server which no longer exists.  So you need to update it.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Win
    Win Member
    Thanks Volvogirl. I do have the 2014 CD but the filestructure has changed I think, so when I install that version I am afraid my files will not work. Or can you upgrade with patches from the 2014 CD to the 2017 version? That is not clear to me. I tried searching on internet but there are only illegitimate versions and I do not want to use those.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you can't use 2014.  You can't update 2014 to a newer version.  You can upDate 2017 to the latest release or buy the newer subscription program.  Update is not the same as upgrade.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Win
    Win Member
    Answer ✓
    Ok it's clear. I think the subscription program is the only option left. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.