Scheduled paycheck transaction is off by a penny

Options
I have a scheduled paycheck transaction that is 0.01 off the scheduled amount regularly due to rounding. Today Quicken says these don't match and makes me put in all the line items of my paycheck over again.
How do I avoid this? I'd be ok if the software prefilled the line items and made me reconcile them somehow, but putting in all 20 or so line items regularly is a big hassle.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have a scheduled paycheck transaction that is 0.01 off the scheduled amount regularly due to rounding. Today Quicken says these don't match and makes me put in all the line items of my paycheck over again.
    How do I avoid this? I'd be ok if the software prefilled the line items and made me reconcile them somehow, but putting in all 20 or so line items regularly is a big hassle.

Are you saying that your paycheck varies once in a while by $0.01 ? For example, two paychecks are the same amount, the 3rd paycheck is up by .01, then the next two paychecks are back to normal and the 6th paycheck is up by .01, and so on ... I had a paycheck from a company once that did do that with a tax deduction every 3rd paycheck. There was nothing I could do but set up a Scheduled Reminder using the Paycheck wizard and use it to record my income and deductions for every paycheck.
    Every time I received a paystub I went into Quicken and recorded the Scheduled Reminder, comparing the net amount on the stub to the reminder. Every 3rd paycheck I had to edit the current instance of the reminder to adjust the net amount and the one deduction amount that was off by .01
    After recording the paycheck in Quicken I could download transactions from the bank. When the paycheck deposit transaction downloaded, Quicken would be able to match it to the already recorded correct register transaction without causing any problems.

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @mwolverine321

Thank you for reaching out on Quicken Community. I apologize that you are having difficulties matching your transactions (entered/downloaded). 

There is a way in which you can match downloaded transactions manually to the those entered into your register. For further instruction click here

Also, make sure that your Memorized Payee has the "Lock" box checked to prevent it from changing the information. However, it can still be changed if needed in the register. To make this change or ensure that it has been done select Tools >Memorized Payee list >Edit. Visual example is below. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

-Quicken Paloma. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are you saying that your paycheck varies once in a while by $0.01 ? For example, two paychecks are the same amount, the 3rd paycheck is up by .01, then the next two paychecks are back to normal and the 6th paycheck is up by .01, and so on ... I had a paycheck from a company once that did do that with a tax deduction every 3rd paycheck. There was nothing I could do but set up a Scheduled Reminder using the Paycheck wizard and use it to record my income and deductions for every paycheck.
    Every time I received a paystub I went into Quicken and recorded the Scheduled Reminder, comparing the net amount on the stub to the reminder. Every 3rd paycheck I had to edit the current instance of the reminder to adjust the net amount and the one deduction amount that was off by .01
    After recording the paycheck in Quicken I could download transactions from the bank. When the paycheck deposit transaction downloaded, Quicken would be able to match it to the already recorded correct register transaction without causing any problems.
  • mwolverine321
    mwolverine321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    yeah, I think this is what I'll have to do. Edit the current instance of the paycheck so that the amounts match before accepting the downloaded transaction. Hopefully I can do that while things are still in the downloaded, pre-acceptance state.
  • sjtideman
    sjtideman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have this issue, so what I do is open the current instance, adjust the ONE item that is off (it's usually Federal Tax) and then the net is right, and I accept the transaction. Does it not let you do that?