unknown transactions

I had to open a new credit account as the old one was hacked.
When I initially downloaded on the new number, it DL a year back-ok.
But it also posted numerous zero amount transactions with seemingly random letters in the payee area. What are those?

Best Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Replacing a compromised CC is a common issue and sadly will only get worse. Rather than creating a new account and experiencing the related issues, it's better to deactivate the CC account, change the account number, reactivate the account and update. You will see no unexpected results following this process. In your case, you will need to restore from a recent backup to exclude the new CC account.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Let me guess, it was a Discover Card.  When a transaction on their website has more than some given number (?) of letters in the description, it causes a second $0 transaction to download with junk in the payee, you can delete them without any worry of losing anything.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    Replacing a compromised CC is a common issue and sadly will only get worse. Rather than creating a new account and experiencing the related issues, it's better to deactivate the CC account, change the account number, reactivate the account and update. You will see no unexpected results following this process. In your case, you will need to restore from a recent backup to exclude the new CC account.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Let me guess, it was a Discover Card.  When a transaction on their website has more than some given number (?) of letters in the description, it causes a second $0 transaction to download with junk in the payee, you can delete them without any worry of losing anything.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    > @GeoffG said:
    > Replacing a compromised CC is a common issue and sadly will only get worse. Rather than creating a new account and experiencing the related issues, it's better to deactivate the CC account, change the account number, reactivate the account and update. You will see no unexpected results following this process. In your case, you will need to restore from a recent backup to exclude the new CC account.

You were right. It was actually an easier fix than what I did. Aren't backups nice? I just had to update other accounts and some matching cleanup
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > Let me guess, it was a Discover Card.  When a transaction on their website has more than some given number (?) of letters in the description, it causes a second $0 transaction to download with junk in the payee, you can delete them without any worry of losing anything.

Bingo, it was Discover. I assumed they could be deleted. But, you know, sometimes Q gets quirky. I have learned the hard way not to play around with payees in Q.
This discussion has been closed.