Include Version number in data file?

I just finished reading a post about a user who cannot get into his file because it's asking for a User File Password that he does not have and did not create. Now he's faced with restoring a file that will take him back to ground zero. Isn't there a way that Quicken can create a way within the file description, maybe under "Add the Date" that could identify what Version a particular file has? This could make it so much easier to identify a good file to restore to. As it is if I feel a need to restore a file I could be sure to not restore one too far back that also has issues! Does what I'm explaining make any sense? This could also be VERY helpful for Superusers, Moderators, and support personnel get back to what should be a good backup.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes - with the recent "password" problem, this would make things maybe easier. 
    However, most of the time, its just a certain set of circumstances that corrupts a QDF file - all in the same version - no updates - and you have to try going back to prior backup versions before the QDF file got trashed...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    True, but at least you would have some breadcrumbs to follow on maybe, where you are, where to go or not go, or where you've already been in a pattern of order.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are suggesting already exists for automated backups. All update releases are documented in the file name and all dates and times are also included. My update to R34.20 did not exit properly and so lists twice on two separate days.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I was going to mention the automatic backup files with the embedded release numbers... until I took a look at mine. I have multiple R33.24's several days apart and I have no idea why. Anyone have an explanation? Could they have been made each time I rejected R34.20 (because I hate the new File/Copy mechanism)?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oops, sorry about opening a can of worms. Seemed like a good new idea at the time. Thanks Roc & Geo!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to have hijacked your thread, @TTSguy . To pursue this, you could post in the "product ideas" section of the forum and people could vote on it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     I have multiple R33.24's several days apart and I have no idea why. Anyone have an explanation?
    They are created at the beginning of the Update .... and if your UAC doesn't allow it - then you exit out - but the backup is still created .... so each time Quicken tries to Update, you get the R-backup

QWin - R54.16 - Win10