All my downloads broke when updated to latest Quicken R34.24

Frusterated
Frusterated Member
I recently installed Version R34.24, build: 27.1.34.24 on a Windows 8.1 PC. All my downloads are now broken. Deleting them and trying to set them up again also doesn't work.

I downloaded the .qfx file from my bank but get a message that Quicken cannot match the download to the account. When I try to set it up new, Quicken tells me that my bank wants me to change my password. I did that the day before but I am still getting the same message. Can I restore the previous version?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Frusterated

Can you tell me how you saved the Quicken data file that you were using previously on the older Quicken version (before you updated to R34.24)?  After you updated Quicken to R34.24, did you use the original datafile or a backup file?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Frusterated

Can you tell me how you saved the Quicken data file that you were using previously on the older Quicken version (before you updated to R34.24)?  After you updated Quicken to R34.24, did you use the original datafile or a backup file?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• I normally back up the Quicken after each time I enter new data by using the backup function in Quicken. I don't know if this saves only the data or also backs up the program itself.

These updates are not optional. Quicken will not open until the update is completed so there is not an option to backup the entire Quicken directory. I am unaware of being able to make a choice about whether to use the original or the backup file but since I just open the program and it goes to the file, I am assuming it is using the original file. I don't know if I restored to an earlier backup file, whether that would also restore the earlier version of the Quicken program. I just know that I cannot download ANY data from my financial institutions. Even downloading a Quicken formatted file from my bank doesn't work as Quicken says it can't "recognize" the financial institution. I have deleted all the connections and tried to rebuild them but Quicken will not connect to my bank or my credit card company nor allow a downloaded file to connect.

Quicken updates regularly mess up my workloads but I have always been able to recover in the past by deleting the connection and creating a new one. Not working this time.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Frusterated

I'll answer a couple of the questions that you posted immediately above:

1) when you backup using the Quicken backup function, it only backs up your datafile, it doesn't backup the quicken application.  

2) When you use the restore function within the Quicken application, it only restores your data it does not restore "an earlier version of the Quicken program" (to use you words.

Are you getting any error codes when you try to download or connect your accounts?  If so, which codes are you seeing.  If not, can you describe exactly what happens (e.g. does Q crash, freeze, do anything else)?  Also, is there any chance that you may have let you Quicken subscription expire recently?

Sorry, I am just reaching for straws, here.

Frankx

• " If so, which codes are you seeing. If not, can you describe exactly what happens (e.g. does Q crash, freeze, do anything else)? "

No codes. When I try to set up a connection to my VISA card account, I get the error message attached - "Sorry we encountered an error. Not your fault."
    When I try to do a direct download of a .qfx file, the bank downloads it to my computer but when I click on it to run the download, nothing is downloaded into the account. When I go back to files and try to set up the connection, there is a note that my "bank provides an improved connection method" but when I follow that path, it takes me back to the above message.

" Also, is there any chance that you may have let you Quicken subscription expire recently?"

No - my membership status says it is up to date.

I am thinking of uninstalling Quicken, backing up my data files in a different location and then try to reinstall. Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you? By the way, Quicken ran a new update this morning and it did not fix the problem. Capital One (my VISA holder) says they have gotten similar calls from Quicken users. I am now on R35.23, Build 27.1.35.23.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Frusterated said:  When I try to do a direct download of a .qfx file, the bank downloads it to my computer but when I click on it to run the download, nothing is downloaded into the account.
    ok - you said at the end you are on .... R35.23 - must be a new staged release...
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7897852/windows-r35-xx-release-us
    Just to clarify terminology... you "download" from your bank and then "import" that QFX file into Quicken.
    Try opening Quicken - and ... File --> Import --> Web Connect QFX file --> point to your downloaded QFX data file.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• I tried. When I do this, it goes through the steps and then....nothing happens. No import, no error message, just a re-display of the Quicken main panel but the latest VISA transactions do not appear. Also, before the update, when I would do an update, all the outstanding transactions would appear at the bottom of the screen and be ready for me to assign them to a category and "accept" them. Now there is a new screen, see attached. I think the setting I have would mean that it would wait for me to enter them. Do you agree? It is frustrating when new options are added without any explanation or notice.
  • What do you think of my uninstall/reinstall plan?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Frusterated,

Yes, that message means that after the transactions are downloaded from the financial institution, they will NOT be entered into the account register automatically - rather you will need to "accept" the transactions before they appear in the register.  From what you've said above - it sounds like that is how it also worked before you started having these recent issues.

Frankx