Revisiting closed topic "Prompt to Enter Data File Password when No Password is Assigned"

Hello, I found the discussion "RESOLVED 7/20/21 Prompt to Enter Data File Password when No Password is Assigned" when looking for an answer to my problem. I am on Version: R34.24, Build: 27.1.34.24 yet I am being asked for a password on a file that never had a password. I am assuming is has something to do with the conversion because this file had to be updated to my newer version before I could access the data. After conversion, it opened the first time without a password, but when I tried to open it again, it required a password. Once the problem occurred, I tried restoring the file from the automatic back up that was created upon conversion but the restored file still requires a password.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓
    LLff said:
    Here is the original post for my problem. This is a Quicken bug that is supposed to be solved by R34.24: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895786/new-7-13-21-prompt-to-enter-data-file-password-when-no-password-is-assigned
    As described, the fix does not correct the corruption.  It corrects code that may cause the corruption:

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    LLff said:
    Sarah, does that mean a data file created before the R34.24 release will be forced to have a password? I though it meant that any file opened after the R34.24 is installed will not have this problem.
    Sarah isn't likely to be responding to your post.

New files created with R34.24 should not have this problem.

Files created with an earlier release may have this problem.  Quicken has not told us the precise sequence of events they determined may corrupt the Quicken file in this way.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    LLff said:
    What data files are affected by the bug? Is it older versions or something like that? My subscription version seems to be okay.
    As previously stated, the issue appears to have affected a small number of users in R32, R33, and R34.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you try earlier backups until you find a saved backup that isn't already corrupt.
  • LLff
    LLff Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, Thank you, but I have no other automatic back ups.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    LLff said:
    Sherlock, Thank you, but I have no other automatic back ups.
    If you do not have access to a good backup, I suggest you create a new Quicken file.

Going forward, I suggest you preserve more Quicken file backups.  We have about about 1 1/2 years of Windows file history preserved on an external drive, three months of system images on another external drive, and 3 months of daily backups, 6 months of weekly backups, and 1 year of monthly backups on cloud storage.  Disk space is cheap.
  • LLff
    LLff Member ✭✭
    Okay. The file was not corrupted to begin with.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    LLff said:
    Okay. The file was not corrupted to begin with.
    If the file is not corrupted to begin with, you should not be prompted to enter a data file password when no password is assigned.
  • LLff
    LLff Member ✭✭
    Here is the original post for my problem. This is a Quicken bug that is supposed to be solved by R34.24: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895786/new-7-13-21-prompt-to-enter-data-file-password-when-no-password-is-assigned
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    LLff said:
    As described, the fix does not correct the corruption.  It corrects code that may cause the corruption:

• LLff
    LLff Member ✭✭
    Sarah, does that mean a data file created before the R34.24 release will be forced to have a password? I though it meant that any file opened after the R34.24 is installed will not have this problem.
  • LLff
    LLff Member ✭✭
    What data files are affected by the bug? Is it older versions or something like that? My subscription version seems to be okay.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    LLff said:
    Sarah isn't likely to be responding to your post.

New files created with R34.24 should not have this problem.

Files created with an earlier release may have this problem.  Quicken has not told us the precise sequence of events they determined may corrupt the Quicken file in this way.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    LLff said:
    As previously stated, the issue appears to have affected a small number of users in R32, R33, and R34.

• LLff
    LLff Member ✭✭
    Following describes a workaround for my situation which is less than ideal but allows me to access the data, at least. In my situation, it is a converted file that is having the problem. I am opening a Quicken 2014 version file into my subscription version. The file opens initially upon conversion without the password error. Knowing that if I close it after that point I would lose access, I took the opportunity while the file was open to intentionally set a password. Now that I have purposefully set the password, I am able to open the file using the password that I created. I did try to change the preferences after that to not require a password but then it went back to the problem of Quicken prompting me to enter a password when no password is assigned. Hence, I seem to always be needing to keep a password on this particular file until a fix is available from the folks at Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.