Can I "Play" Investor with Quicken Sim Style?

Curious - Can I input values, etc. manually into Quicken without having real accounts to gauge a variety of investing styles?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Laconic747

The short answer is "yes".  You can input non-real data into Quicken and thereby simulate "investing styles" or transactions.  However, I would suggest that you not do that in your "real" quicken datafile.  Rather, you should setup a second Quicken datafile for that purpose.  Also keep in mind that you can download data (such as security quotes) into such a file.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    What I would do is create a separate data file for this.   You can manually add your securities and test transactions and then have Quicken update the prices.  When you create the accounts just don’t connect them to an actual brokerage account (set it up as an offline account)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Laconic747

The short answer is "yes".  You can input non-real data into Quicken and thereby simulate "investing styles" or transactions.  However, I would suggest that you not do that in your "real" quicken datafile.  Rather, you should setup a second Quicken datafile for that purpose.  Also keep in mind that you can download data (such as security quotes) into such a file.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -