Accurate Real Account Balance, NOT Including Future Scheduled Transactions??? (Q Mac)

Options
Sorry for what is likely a dumb question, but we just converted from awesome Quicken 2007 to the current subscription version. The new software has some very nice features, but as a long-time user of Q2007 I've been "hardwired" to do certain things that I have not been able to find in the current version of Quicken for Mac. This functionality may indeed be there but I'm too senile to find it, so please bear with me.

The balance column in our account includes scheduled transactions that haven’t happened yet nor have they been officially entered (we manually enter all transactions), in this example $11,500.95.

I would like this number to include paid future transactions (as in you pay a bill but your e-bank says it won’t arrive until 6 days from now so one uses today + 6 days as the entered date).

But I don’t want to include scheduled transactions for which there is no confirmation (say a work paycheck that is supposed to hit but we don’t want to confirm that until real).

For this example, then, the top right balance total would be $7391.08 (not $11,500.95): $11,140.85-$3782.55+$259.65-$39.03-$187.84).

Quicken 2007 automatically excluded the scheduled but not officially entered transactions from the final account balance, but modern Quicken includes them in the final account balance.

Is there a way to remove/not include the light gray/light green scheduled future transactions from the tally, and only include the solid black/solid green ones above the green horizontal “today” line so that the Balance listed at the top of the right column reflects only “officially entered and confirmed” transactions the way that Quicken 2007 did?

Thank you!
1.png 27.4K

Best Answer

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can do this two ways.

To globally set this for all accounts, click on the "Banking" heading from the sidebar. Then click on what appears to be a "clock" on the far right side below the search bar in the register. Change the time frame to show reminders to "Don't show reminders". This will change the setting for ALL the banking accounts (checking and credit cards).

You can also go to each individual account and change it there with the same process if you want to just show reminders for some accounts but not all.

Notice there are different time frames you can select to show reminders, if you want.

By selecting "Don't show reminders", only manually entered or downloaded transactions will show in the register. No scheduled reminders will show...giving you a more accurate balance in the register. Future transactions will show above the green line, but you have to manually have entered those for them to show as they obviously haven't cleared the bank yet since they're in the future.

Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can do this two ways.

To globally set this for all accounts, click on the "Banking" heading from the sidebar. Then click on what appears to be a "clock" on the far right side below the search bar in the register. Change the time frame to show reminders to "Don't show reminders". This will change the setting for ALL the banking accounts (checking and credit cards).

You can also go to each individual account and change it there with the same process if you want to just show reminders for some accounts but not all.

Notice there are different time frames you can select to show reminders, if you want.

By selecting "Don't show reminders", only manually entered or downloaded transactions will show in the register. No scheduled reminders will show...giving you a more accurate balance in the register. Future transactions will show above the green line, but you have to manually have entered those for them to show as they obviously haven't cleared the bank yet since they're in the future.
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sweet; that is so elegant! Problem solved.

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise, and also for explaining it in such a clear and simple fashion.

Much appreciated!
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just as a secondary note...you may also want to explore Quicken Mac's feature of "View Today's Balance", "View Projected Balance" and "View Online Balance" in the Sidebar AND in the actual register amount at the upper right.

To view in the sidebar, click on the three dots above the sidebar.

To view in the account register, click on the "Balance" arrow on the upper right.

These can be useful options when viewing scheduled transactions in the register.

Just another Quicken Mac hint to help out.
  • LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Options
    As always, many, many thanks; I really appreciate your guidance and input!!!
This discussion has been closed.