Search and replace category for payee name (Q Mac)

nello
nello Member ✭✭
I want to change the category for all transactions with a given payee.

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2021
    Select the All Transactions view, and type the payee name in the search field in the upper right to get a list of transactions for that payee across all your accounts. Then select the transactions you want to re-categorize, right click on any one of them and select Edit Transaction; this will open a Transaction Info window that will let you modify certain information about all the selected transactions. Check the box to the left of the Category field, select the desired category, and press OK.

Note that this will include transactions in closed or hidden accounts. If you want to exclude certain accounts you'll need to make sure that transactions from those accounts are not selected before making your edit; alternatively you could use the account selection dropdown in the register to restrict the accounts being searched.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• nello
    nello Member ✭✭
    Thank you for replying.

Yes, I figured out the "change each one individually" approach.

I'm looking for a way to change all the selected transactions at once, without the tedium of opening/changing each one at a time.
  • Jon
    edited August 2021
    What I described will change them all at once. Select as many transactions as you like in the search results and change them all in one shot.

• Jon
    edited August 2021
    Here's an example. I have transactions for "Fazolis" in two different categories and I want them to all be the same. I open up the All Transactions window, search on "Fazolis", select all the transactions with the incorrect category that I want to change, right click and select Edit Transaction:
    Then in the Transaction Info window I check Category and select the new category (notice in the background that multiple transactions are still selected):
    When I press OK, all the selected transactions have their category changed:

• nello
    nello Member ✭✭
    Oh. I didn't see the part about selecting all the transactions. My mistake.

Yes, very good.

Thank you for the detail with the screenshots.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just keep in mind that this will not affect the categories contained in any split transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • nello
    nello Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > Just keep in mind that this will not affect the categories contained in any split transactions.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.