Can't reconcile my bank statement

Options
I am running Quicken for Windows R35.26. When I started to reconcile my August statement, when I pulled up the reconcile window it was if it was grayed out. It will not let me enter the Statement Date or the Ending balance. I have never had this problem before and I have been using Quicken for over 20 years. Any thought on what is causing this?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @tmtraylor1950,

Okay, that makes sense.  The fact that you "reconciled to the online balance explains why you saw the "greyed out" window. If you want to change back to "reconcile to a paper statement", you need to open the account register > click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > click on "Edit account details" > select the "Online Services" tab > at the very bottom of the box - deselect "Reconcile using online balance".

That should fix it so the you can reconcile to the paper statement at 8/31/21.

Let me know if you have any followups,

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @tmtraylor1950

Sorry that you are having this issue reconciling your account.  Do you reconcile the account to a paper statement or to an online balance?  Also, when was the last time you reconciled the account.

I assume that this account is "connected", that is you download transactions from your bank.  When was your last download?  Have you had any problems connecting with the bank for this account recently?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx 

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the Account Bar, right click on the account name.  Select Edit/Delete Account.  Select Online Services.  Make sure "Reconcile using an online balance" is unchecked.  

Repeat for all the rest of your accounts that exhibit this behavior. 
  • tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I reconcile to an online balance. I reconciled at the end of July. I download from the bank and did that earlier today.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @tmtraylor1950,

Okay, that makes sense.  The fact that you "reconciled to the online balance explains why you saw the "greyed out" window. If you want to change back to "reconcile to a paper statement", you need to open the account register > click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > click on "Edit account details" > select the "Online Services" tab > at the very bottom of the box - deselect "Reconcile using online balance".

That should fix it so the you can reconcile to the paper statement at 8/31/21.

Let me know if you have any followups,

Frankx

• tmtraylor1950
    tmtraylor1950 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, that fixed it.