How to correct errors I made when I manually added "Cost Basis" to several securities

Because most of my security transactions were acquired too far back for Quicken for Mac to download the brokerages cost basis, I manually added that information for each security. Unfortunately, I made entry errors on two of the securities. There doesn't seem to be a way to go back and edit my entries because the "transaction(s) are balanced." On my register, the Cost Basis column figures are in black which seems to mean the information is locked. Is that true?
If I click on the security name, there is an "edit" option but that only allows changes of the investment type, security name, asset class. I cannot access the number of shares, cost basis, transactions dates, etc.
How can I fix the cost basis for those two stocks?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Hi, LesTex:

It sounds like you are trying to work in the Portfolio View. This is nice for an overview of your accounts. 

You need to switch to the Transactions view which will allow you to edit the underlying transactions and adjust things as needed. Click on that button at the upper right:

If that option is grayed out, then you likely have enabled the "Simple View"

If so, you need to go into that account's settings and switch the program to "Detailed View". You can now get to your transactions. 

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Hi, LesTex:

It sounds like you are trying to work in the Portfolio View. This is nice for an overview of your accounts. 

You need to switch to the Transactions view which will allow you to edit the underlying transactions and adjust things as needed. Click on that button at the upper right:

If that option is grayed out, then you likely have enabled the "Simple View"

If so, you need to go into that account's settings and switch the program to "Detailed View". You can now get to your transactions. 

• LesTex
    LesTex Member
    Thank you for responding so quickly. You were correct that I was using the Portfolio view to add my cost basis details. I already had enabled the "detailed" tracking. However, after reading your response, I went back into the individual transactions in the Transaction view, and found the entries and was able to correct them. Very helpful - much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.