What does the "Direct" selection under the check # column do?

I thought maybe if I pay a bill on a company's web site I could use "Direct", but I seem to remember doing it one time and it paid like I had put "Send" which is how I pay almost all my bills.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @CoreyCoop,

I'm not actually sure about the question you are asking, since "Direct" isn't one of the options for the Check # column (but I think you may be thinking of "Send Online Payment".  Anyway, since you pay "almost all of [your] bills" on the company's website (I assume via transfers from a bank account), you should be recording those payments using the "transfer" or "online transfer" type in the Check # column.

BTW - the "Send Online Payment" option (if you've set that up with your bank in advance) will actually cause the bank to make a direct payment to the vendor (usually via an electronic payment but sometimes a check from the bank).

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    HI @CoreyCoop,

I'm not actually sure about the question you are asking, since "Direct" isn't one of the options for the Check # column (but I think you may be thinking of "Send Online Payment".  Anyway, since you pay "almost all of [your] bills" on the company's website (I assume via transfers from a bank account), you should be recording those payments using the "transfer" or "online transfer" type in the Check # column.

BTW - the "Send Online Payment" option (if you've set that up with your bank in advance) will actually cause the bank to make a direct payment to the vendor (usually via an electronic payment but sometimes a check from the bank).

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not the list for Check # can be edited, so it might not be one of the built-in ones.  Also if you are just seeing it in the column, not in the pull down list, well you can type in whatever you like in that column and the financial institution can also download whatever it want into that column.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • CoreyCoop
    CoreyCoop Member ✭✭
    Got it, I must have at some point added the "Direct" item, although probably unintentionally. So this question is moot.
This discussion has been closed.