Quicken will not let me enter an invoice number such as 21-1000.

Dash causes Quicken to decrement 21to 20. The only way around seems to be to enter the purchase order field and cut and paste to the invoice field.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Invoice Number field for Customer Invoices and Bill No. field for Vendor Invoices is a strictly numeric field. The "+" and "-" keys can be used to increment or decrement the number by one. When creating a new invoice it should be used to generate a unique numeric sequence number, incremented by 1 from the last invoice you created.
    The P.O.Number field is a text field and can be used to reference the invoice number given to you by the customer or vendor, but, IMHO, it should not be copied into the Bill No field.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hi @RobertDNA,

Yes, Quicken is a little fussy about invoice numbers and it likes to do the math sometimes when it shouldn't. 

Yes, entering the information/data into the PO field first (or entering the data into another program - like Word, Notepad, etc.) and then pasting it into the invoice field does work.   Another work-around would be to use a period/decimal point, so you could type "21.1000"  in the invoice field and that should work as well.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• RobertDNA
    RobertDNA Member ✭✭
    If I paste a number like 21-1000 does that cause any problems with the reports functions? Will Quicken accept the number as I paste it in?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RobertDNA

Quicken will accept it.  It should not affect the reporting (but I haven't tested it so I am not absolutely sure).  In any event backup your file first, and try it out with a few entries - just in case you don't like the result.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.