Why does Quicken Mac match download with Bill/Income Reminder that I haven't posted yet?

dborja
dborja Member ✭✭
I've missed a payment because a transaction download matched a transaction with a bill reminder with the same dollar amount that I haven't posted yet. I was able to fix this by telling Quicken not to show reminders for my account registers.

However, the problem has come back and it's worse: it's now matching with reminders that are weeks away as long as the dollar amounts are the same. I know that I can reject the match as I'm reviewing the downloaded transactions but this is annoying and I've resorted to running my previous checkbook app in parallel to keep Quicken honest in case I miss the error.

Is there a setting that I've missed or is this a bug?

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Hello @dborja

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you I need more information. For instance, is this a manual or an online biller? Is this occurring for a particular payee? 

Please elaborate, and once more information is provided we can move forward in diagnosing the issue at hand. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • dborja
    dborja Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken Paloma,

These are manual billers. And it doesn't occur for just a particular payee.

If I have a bill reminder that has a dollar amount that matches a downloaded transaction, it will match with that reminder. And the payee names on the reminders and on the downloaded transactions are nowhere near the same. I do have the "Don't Show Reminders" setting for my accounts which fixed this problem for a while until one of the recent Quicken updates.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @dborja

Thank you for the update. I'm wondering here if we deactivate and reactivate the banks we're having issues with. Ideally, this should reset any connections in the program. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so.

First, we'll try deactivating all of the accounts for the affected FI. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.  You'll want to make sure you're using the add account option then linking to an existing account.

https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Setting+up+accounts

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps/options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• dborja
    dborja Member ✭✭
    Ok, will do. It may take me a while to let you know, though, as the downloaded transaction amount has to match with that of an unposted reminder...
  • dborja
    dborja Member ✭✭
    Ok. I deactivated all of my account connections and reconnected them. I've seen two instances where a downloaded transaction was matched with a bill reminder that had the same dollar amount that I haven't posted yet. And they were in different financial institutions.

This is getting annoying as I have to run my old checkbook app in parallel when I'm paying bills to make sure I didn't miss a reminder that was erroneously matched with a download. Part of the problem is that I share some of my accounts with my wife so I can't always enter her transactions and have to rely on Quicken to download them then categorize the transactions.
  • dborja
    dborja Member ✭✭
    I think there should be a switch to tell Quicken not to match downloaded transactions with Bill and Income reminders that have not yet been posted by the user. If the user forgot to post a reminder and that transaction occurred and was downloaded, it's better to simply delete the reminder for that month than to think that the transaction already occurred because Quicken erroneously matched a downloaded transaction with an unposted reminder that has the same dollar amount.
This discussion has been closed.