Proper product return process in H&B

Q H&B 2019 : Refund process for returning items to a vendor for a refund
1. Purchase a computer from Dell; pay with credit card
2. Enter Vender Invoice for purchase and payment with credit card
3. Computer is broken when it arrives
4. Return the computer to Dell for a refund
5. Dell receives broken laptop; issues a refund to the original purchase method (my credit card)

How to enter the refund credit in Quicken.

Attempted Vendor Invoices, Refund Process : Puts refund amount in "BILLED" column: Wrong: should end up in Paid Column

Attempted Vendor Invoices, Credit Process : Enters an Invoice in the Paid Column and requires a Refund Process which enters the refund in the Billed Column : ALSO WRONG

What is the correct process where the Customer Job is credited, The Credit Card is credited, and the Categories are adjusted corretly?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To handle the actual refund to your credit card, I think, the Vendor Invoices account is out of the picture.
    Here's how I handled that (and I hope I'm doing that correctly so no bookkeepers will yell at me...)
    First I created vendor invoice 101 to buy the new computer, categorized to "Office", a Business Expense category
    Next I recorded the vendor payment, transfer to MyVISA credit card.
    The refund from Dell was only recorded in the MyVISA account and categorized to offset "Office".
    As far as I understand the Credit and Refund processes in the Vendor Invoices account ... they are to be used if you issue a credit or a refund to a vendor (or customer), not if it's the other way round and the vendor refunds your money.
  • I would agree if the purchase would have been for my own company. This would have worked perfectly. However, the purchase was for a Customer Project. If I just return the credit to my credit card, then the Customer project still reflects the purchase and allocation of the amount to the customer's invoice. It's all really sticky. QB would have handled this like a dream back in the days when I has 23 employees and 1000 clients. Today, it's just me. I was hoping for Q H&B to solve these issues easily.
  • UKR, your way does clean up the books. However, I need it to clean up the Vendor Invoices, Customer Invoices, and the credit card. There should be a right click on the original vendor invoice, an option to process a return, and a post to the credit card as a credit.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree if the purchase would have been for my own company. This would have worked perfectly. However, the purchase was for a Customer Project. If I just return the credit to my credit card, then the Customer project still reflects the purchase and allocation of the amount to the customer's invoice. It's all really sticky. QB would have handled this like a dream back in the days when I has 23 employees and 1000 clients. Today, it's just me. I was hoping for Q H&B to solve these issues easily.

In this case you also need to create a New Customer Credit transaction in your Customer Invoices account, to zero out the customer invoice you wrote.
    If and when you purchase another new computer, another set of Vendor and Customer Invoices will have to be written.
    The business feature in Quicken is very basic, for a small business owner with very simple business transaction needs who reports all business transactions on the personal Federal 1040 form plus Schedule C.