what happened to "save a copy as" ?

Sometime between April '21 and now, the "save a copy as" option disappeared. I used to use this option fairly frequently to move my data file back & forth between my desktop & laptop (rather than keep my info in the cloud). I liked this option because I could name the files according to date so I could keep track of things. I tried the current copy command with all the options and the complete date range but I see that things are missing - like all the online configuration for 2 dozen accounts and who knows what else?
Will this option return? Or is there another way to achieve the same result?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still there, but not in the same location. For whatever reason the developers thought to remove from the Operations menu and place directly on the File menu.

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Go to Windows Explorer, Copy the .qdf file by right clicking on the filename.  In your preferred folder, right click and select Paste. 

Right click once again and you can rename the file.

All your settings are saved intact.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    It's still there, but not in the same location. For whatever reason the developers thought to remove from the Operations menu and place directly on the File menu.

This option isn't the same as the old "Save a copy as".  The copy from the new "Create a copy or template" will have the online connections services disconnected.

Also note that it is stated that you shouldn't use Backup and Restore on a regular basis because when you do a restore it creates a new "Quicken cloud dataset" and there is a limited amount of them.  If you exceed that limit you have to get Quicken support to delete a data set for you.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to Windows Explorer, Copy the .qdf file by right clicking on the filename.  In your preferred folder, right click and select Paste.
    Currently, not a great idea if you don't understand the implications -
    IF you are also using the Quicken Cloud Sync to the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web.
    There is an internal Quicken file ID - and that is used when Syncing -
    so any "copy" you make outside of Quicken, like with Windows Explorer,
    will duplicate that ID vs creating a new ID -
    and then the Sync function might get confused IF you happen to access BOTH files at some point -
    it can't tell the difference... for Syncing and any changes made.
    That is why Quicken had the recent major change to the entire COPY function -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    "Currently, not a great idea if you don't understand the implications -
    IF you are also using the Quicken Cloud Sync to the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web."

And if you're NOT using the Mobile App or Quicken Web?

Works just fine. 

Certainly works better than multiple backup and restores where you run out of datasets and get the dreaded message where the only way to fix it is to call Quicken Support.  

And...if you reset your Quicken Cloud prior to any syncing, this still works just fine.  

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Ps56k2 said:
    Currently, not a great idea if you don't understand the implications -
    IF you are also using the Quicken Cloud Sync to the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web.
    There is an internal Quicken file ID - and that is used when Syncing -
    so any "copy" you make outside of Quicken, like with Windows Explorer,
    will duplicate that ID vs creating a new ID -
    and then the Sync function might get confused IF you happen to access BOTH files at some point -
    it can't tell the difference... for Syncing and any changes made.
    That is why Quicken had the recent major change to the entire COPY function -

"Currently, not a great idea if you don't understand the implications -
    IF you are also using the Quicken Cloud Sync to the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web."

And if you're NOT using the Mobile App or Quicken Web?

Works just fine. 

Certainly works better than multiple backup and restores where you run out of datasets and get the dreaded message where the only way to fix it is to call Quicken Support.  

And...if you reset your Quicken Cloud prior to any syncing, this still works just fine.  

Actually it goes well beyond Sync to Mobile/Web.
    First off, Express Web Connect is now using that same syncing process to download transactions.
    The flow:
    Quicken -> QCS (Quicken Connection Services/Quicken cloud dataset) -> Intuit Server -> Financial institution's website

What's more even if you use neither of these there are other things being connected to the Quicken cloud dataset.  Online Bills/Quicken Bill Manager, Credit Score, Quicken licensing, and probably others.

If one is copying for the purpose of using another machine in a flow like this:
    Use Quicken on machine 1, copy data file to machine 2, use Quicken on machine 2, copy data file back to machine 1.  Then that should work fine.

But the user copies the data file and is going to use it as a template for a new data file, that is exactly what the new copy is designed for.

If the user is going to use it as a backup, there is still risks.  For instance it has been shown that using a old data file can mess up Quicken Bill Manager because of missing payees and such.  One has to remember that there is a "server side" to features like this and as such they can get out of sync.

I'm sure that is one of the reasons that a Restore creates a new dataset.  Basically forcing the issue of syncing from the data file to the dataset, instead of maybe syncing the other way first because say it has downloaded new information that isn't in the data file.
    Signature:
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest.  I've done both methods Chris has outlined.

I've used "my method" to move data files from one PC at a physical location to another PC at a completely different physical location.  I've done this for about 15 years with no problems whatsoever.  Back and forth.  No issues.  Ever.  

I've also re-copied "backup" data files after a Quicken update messed things up with my data file, I've experimented with a new feature and messed things up myself or I've tried to use Quicken's Sync to Mobile and had my data file corrupted (on numerous occasions).  These files aren't true backups are they are just Windows Explorer copies of the original .qdf file. 

I have NEVER had any issue using that copy file. 

Making sure Sync to Mobile is turned off, I go to the "original" file and rename it QDATAOLD.qdf.  I then move the copy file back to my data file folder using COPY and PASTE and open that by double clicking.  Every time that file has opened and had zero consequences whatsoever.  

And yes, I have a few Express Web Connect banks.  And they download just fine.

So, either I'm completely unique in that I'm the only person this works for, I'm doing something completely special that is totally out of the Quicken norm...or it just works as I outlined.  

Others experiences may vary.  All I know is it works for me and I'm passing that info on to the user.  

It appears that as long as you are NOT using Sync to Mobile, the Windows Explorer COPY/PASTE method should work.  And that's my experience.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @garysmith87 It really depends on the services one is using and "how different" the data files are.
    Here is one example:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7894425/what-is-the-difference-between-a-file-backup-and-a-file-copy

I went looking for another example that I remember, but couldn't find it.

It started basically the same way you stated " I've done this for about 15 years with no problems whatsoever. " and goes on to how he ran into problems.

The basic problem here is that no where does Quicken ever state what is synced for what use cases, and as such we have to guess.  Without that information it is very hard to tell what will trigger problems.

I personally never use Quicken's backup, instead I have copies of my QDF file that I can restore.  I have never had a problem restoring/using even pretty old data files.  But I also don't use any of the services that rely on syncing to some server.
    Signature:
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for verifying.  There's two of us that never use Quicken's backup feature...and have never had an issue restoring a manual copy.  

Have a great day. 
This discussion has been closed.