Cancelling A Payment That Has Already Been Made

I made a payment and had Quicken enter the payment in the account register. Reconciling that account this month, there are duplicate transactions, the one Quicken entered when the bill was paid, and the one recorded by my bank. Quicken can't tell that the transactions are the same, despite the payee at least having the same partial company name. I want to delete the one that Quicken entered, but Quicken tells me that I must cancel the payment before I can delete the transaction. How can I cancel the payment? In Bill Pay it is already marked as paid.
Quicken for Windows Premiere
Always the latest version

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, sorry. You cannot cancel a completed online bill pay transaction. It's too late for that.
    Delete the downloaded transaction instead, to get your register back in balance.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you right click on one of the transactions and match it to the other transaction?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > Can't you right click on one of the transactions and match it to the other transaction?

I tried that but don't see a way to match it. Searching Quicken Help on matching transactions I don't see the options that I think I should see.
  • David Green
    David Green Member ✭✭✭
    I ended up deleting the downloaded transaction and marking the one from Bill Pay as reconciled. Checking the reconciliation again it still matches. In future if I use Bill Pay I will not have it enter transactions in the register. This has caused me multiple problems.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @David Green, 

Thank you for your response and we apologize for the frustration this caused. However, we are glad you were able to get your issue resolved. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma 
This discussion has been closed.