Quicken is unable to connect to SEFCU.

wrens
wrens Member ✭✭
As of 10/20/21 Quicken is unable to connect to SEFCU for one step update, adding account online information etc. SEFCU has changed to a new format also. Is there any way to resolve this?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Hi @wrens,

Have you followed the guidance that SEFCU provided for Quicken users in connection with the CU's recent systems upgrade?  If not, I suggest that you take a look at this LINK.

Let me know of you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• wrens
    wrens Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Yes. I have tried the steps above and when I try to connect to SEFCU when re-adding the online part, I get a message that "Sorry. We've encountered an error. (It's not your fault). Quicken is having trouble connecting to SEFCU." Now none of my SEFCU accounts are connected since the instructions had me deactivate the services. Although, none of them worked prior to deactivation either.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @wrens.

Are you getting any error codes?  When was your last good backup?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is a SEFCU to Quicken problem.  I'm also getting the it's not your fault message.

SEFCU just replaced their website.  Quicken will need to contact SEFCU and get things set back up.
  • wrens
    wrens Member ✭✭
    Exactly my thinking too. I'm just wondering when it's going to get done at this point.
  • wrens
    wrens Member ✭✭
    To answer questions above. There is no error message other than what I posted. My last good connection to SEFCU for download was around 10/19/21 and my last backup is about 1 week old.
  • gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    I’m in the same situation. This happened the last time SEFCU changed its account number system for a “better customer experience”. I tried resetting but no luck. I’m planning to call SEFCU this morning. After the last disaster one would think they learned a lesson but I guess not.
  • wrens
    wrens Member ✭✭
    I spent hours today fixing the problem. To address it, I had to make a copy of my accounts file. The copy does not include connections to your banks. I then had to use the copy and reconnect all of my accounts (a fairly large task). I eventually renamed my original accounts file and then renamed the copy file back to accounts (just because that is what I have used for over 30 years with quicken). When I re-established my connections to my banks, it sometimes brought down several months of already downloaded transactions that I then had to delete individually so they were not entered twice. It was a total waste of my morning but my accounts are now all connected and updating as appropriate. Quicken customer service helped me through the chat window. There has to be a better way than this but at least it worked.
  • gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    Oh no. I've done the deactivate then reconnect thing before and then you get months of duplicate transactions. I called SEFCU Friday and they said they are aware of the Quicken issue and working on a fix. I'll give them until early next week for a fix on their end.
  • gregnugget
    gregnugget Member ✭✭✭
    I deactivated one SEFCU account in Quicken and reconnected. It linked all my accounts back up and seemed to work. Then I checked my account balances. It screwed them up! I don't know how that's possible since I didn't accept any new transactions. So now it's I have to load an automatic backup from a prior date to restore the mess SEFCU made. This confirms my belief. Whenever a business says it wasn't to "enhance the customer experience", especially when it comes to electronic changes or updates, I cringe.
  • wrens
    wrens Member ✭✭
    Check the very first transaction in your list. I found that mine was incorrect and that threw all the balances off. I just deleted/fixed that very first transaction in the messed up accounts and voila - All better. If I hadn't been in quicken for upwards of 30 plus years, I would probably... well never mind that. I find that I often say my life is in quicken and I have won and lost a lot of arguments about how long we have had something in our house just by checking when we bought it in quicken. I just wish it was a bit more stable at times.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI again @wrens and @gregnugget

@wrens -  That is a very good suggestion. 

I have found (just recently) that when you disconnect an account and then reconnect it, if the current account balance is not correct, then you should check the first transaction in the register (i.e. the opening balance).  This is regardless of how long the account has existed in Quicken.  

For some reason - and I believe that this is relatively new/recent behavior - Quicken will adjust the opening account balance by an amount that will actually place the account in an "out-of-balance" position.  This has happened to me with two separate accounts in Quicken in the past month or so.  The amounts of these unwarranted "adjustments" seem to be random amounts and not related to any other transactions.  And to make matters worse, after I deleted one of these transactions which placed the account in balance, it appeared again in recent days.  I have not yet determined why this is happening.

Frankx

• Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭✭
    I found that SEFCU was requiring a new password since they updated their site. I couldn't just change the password in the vault, had to deactivate and reactivate the account in Quicken.
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    SEFCU (NY) One Step Update reports that there are no new transactions - however there are several that do not download.  Quicken is reporting that the download connection is working - however obviously it is not.
This discussion has been closed.