How to put 2 different data files on the same Mac computer? One converted from Windows

rayrol
rayrol Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I have one data file on Windows computer and will convert it to Mac. Then I want to move that converted data file to my mac. I already have one data file on the mac and with this other data file converted to Mac add it so that I can have both data files on the same Mac computer. I understand that I will only use one data file at a time and will have to select which data file to use based on which data file I want to use.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can't convert the QWin file to Mac on the Windows computer. You have to move it to Mac first and covert it there. To do this, copy the QWin file to the Mac by whatever means you have available (eg. thumb drive, Dropbox, etc.)

Next open QMac and choose menu File > New. One of the choices will be to start with a Quicken for Windows file. Select this, and point the open file dialog to wherever you stashed the QWin file. When the conversion is done, the Mac version of the QWin file will be open on the Mac. To switch to the other file that you had open previously, click menu File > Open Recent. You will see both the original QMac file and the converted QWin file listed there. Use this menu to switch between the files as needed.

Note that not all QWin data may convert over to QMac. You can search the Mac categories here on the forum for more info on this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    rayrol said: Thanks so much that is exactly what I needed.
    Just be aware, as mentioned above - that depending upon which features you used in the Windows version, those exact same features or data elements may not exist in the Mac version.  But, since you already are using the Mac version, you may already know of the differences.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give them different names.   Are the same name?   Save the Windows data with another name before converting.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• rayrol
    rayrol Member ✭✭
    The data files are different names. What are the steps to move the converted windows to mac data file onto my mac?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can't convert the QWin file to Mac on the Windows computer. You have to move it to Mac first and covert it there. To do this, copy the QWin file to the Mac by whatever means you have available (eg. thumb drive, Dropbox, etc.)

Next open QMac and choose menu File > New. One of the choices will be to start with a Quicken for Windows file. Select this, and point the open file dialog to wherever you stashed the QWin file. When the conversion is done, the Mac version of the QWin file will be open on the Mac. To switch to the other file that you had open previously, click menu File > Open Recent. You will see both the original QMac file and the converted QWin file listed there. Use this menu to switch between the files as needed.

Note that not all QWin data may convert over to QMac. You can search the Mac categories here on the forum for more info on this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • rayrol
    rayrol Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much that is exactly what I needed. My quicken version of windows is the most current and so is my mac. So I am ok for the conversion. Looks like an easy conversion and move over based on your instructions. Can't thank you enough.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    rayrol said: Thanks so much that is exactly what I needed.
    Just be aware, as mentioned above - that depending upon which features you used in the Windows version, those exact same features or data elements may not exist in the Mac version.  But, since you already are using the Mac version, you may already know of the differences.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.